Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Can someone identify this?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Automender12345 
#1 ·
Hi. 2004 Taurus with what looks like some after market electrical showing under steering column (the little button and the little light). What could this be? Perhaps controls for an aftermarket cold-weather remote starter? I'm trying to replace heater core and nowhere have I seen instructions that describe what this is and how to workaround it. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Who knows...... Pull the cover under the column (only takes a couple minutes) and see where the wires go.

Reactions: thesavo
#4 ·
^^^ In case the nuclear option is the only way out.

#7 · (Edited)
It's aftermarket for sure. Could be a program/valet button for a remote start. Some come with a momentary push button to set options or put into valet mode. Led is unusually contained in the control module. Look for a box about 1.5 x 4 x 5 inches with three or four connectors containing 20 wires total.You will also find a security module with a key inside which is 1 x 3 x 4 inches. Is there an antenna mounted on the windshield?

Check U tube for a quick way to replace heater core which involves cutting a factory handling tab to create room so dash does not have to be totally removed. If you have bad heat output and a Vulcan engine you should do a reverse flush on the core only before you go through all that work. If it is leaking then you have no choice.

#10 ·
It's low heat, but due to the limited amount of space I have, and no access to running water, replacing the heater core might be easier. (I'm in NYC and do all the work parked on the street. Ugh). Maybe I'll try to find a shop that will do it (the flush) cheaply. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.