LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2000
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
P0191 and P1237

I had something strange happen a couple weeks ago, I was driving for probably an hour and then shut the engine down for less than a minute. On restart, it began to run very poorly at all RPMs, coughing and misfiring. Eventually it died completely, I restarted and it was a little better, and after driving a little it went away completely. Now for a couple weeks it's been totally fine, however I read the codes out tonight and found P0191 and P1237, low fuel pressure and "fuel pump primary circuit malfunction". I had about 1/3 tank of fuel at the time it happened, but ever since it's been fine. I suspect it must have been low fuel pressure causing the problem, so maybe an issue with the pump or the FPDM. What is more likely to fail, the FPDM or the pump itself? It's kind of hard to troubleshoot something that isn't broke anymore... and yet things like that kind of shake your confidence in taking the vehicle long distances
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Brown View Post
I had something strange happen a couple weeks ago, I was driving for probably an hour and then shut the engine down for less than a minute. On restart, it began to run very poorly at all RPMs, coughing and misfiring. Eventually it died completely, I restarted and it was a little better, and after driving a little it went away completely. Now for a couple weeks it's been totally fine, however I read the codes out tonight and found P0191 and P1237, low fuel pressure and "fuel pump primary circuit malfunction". I had about 1/3 tank of fuel at the time it happened, but ever since it's been fine. I suspect it must have been low fuel pressure causing the problem, so maybe an issue with the pump or the FPDM. What is more likely to fail, the FPDM or the pump itself? It's kind of hard to troubleshoot something that isn't broke anymore... and yet things like that kind of shake your confidence in taking the vehicle long distances
Pumps are a 'wear' item, they wear out. They have carbon brushes and bearings. The FPDM is not a wear item. I have had 2 '03's fail pump at ~115K and ~135K. I have a JY module and I switched it and made no difference so I replaced the pump on the first one. Second one just had it replaced. However, I had a code that as I remember indicated I was out of gas.

-chart-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Pumps are a 'wear' item, they wear out. They have carbon brushes and bearings. The FPDM is not a wear item. I have had 2 '03's fail pump at ~115K and ~135K. I have a JY module and I switched it and made no difference so I replaced the pump on the first one. Second one just had it replaced. However, I had a code that as I remember indicated I was out of gas.

-chart-
Bulls put the module in a clean, dry, cool place. As opposed to F-150 as in the pic. I do not have a pickup truck.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPDM.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	199065  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
P0191= fuel rail pressure sensor circuit range/performance. P1237= fuel pump secondary circuit malfunction. May clear the codes and try replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor on the front fuel rail with a new or jy part and change the fuel filter if it's been awhile to see if the codes pop back up. If they do, I'd suspect failing fuel pump. Does your 2000 have an fpdm?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure but I thought all the taurus/sables had the FPDM since it's necessary for the PCM to control the pump's speed/pressure? I'll probably just wait and see if the problem happens again, I cleared the codes but nothing unusual has shown up since. It has 157k on it so maybe the pump is just wearing out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Brown View Post
I'm not sure but I thought all the taurus/sables had the FPDM since it's necessary for the PCM to control the pump's speed/pressure? I'll probably just wait and see if the problem happens again, I cleared the codes but nothing unusual has shown up since. It has 157k on it so maybe the pump is just wearing out.
'01 is a one year only system for the pump. One year only fuel filter as 3 nipple and a return line from the filter. no FPDM. '00 used the FDPM same as '02 and all later years.

-chart-
sheila likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Well here we are about a year later and the fuel pump has completed died. I started the car this morning and it ran very rough, drove a short distance and decided to take a different vehicle to work. The engine died right as I pulled into the garage - lucky! After that it wouldn't even fire. Fuel rail pressure sensor indicated 0, confirmed at the fuel pressure test port. I verified power to the FPDM and with the key on, there was voltage being sent to the pump. The return from the pump was zero, should be 12v if the engine is not running. The FPDM drives the return from the pump to ground to turn the pump on. The ground is PWM'd with varying duty cycle to control pump speed.

Anyway after work tonight I dropped the tank and pulled the pump out. Applying 12v directly to the pump did nothing. In the interest of science I cut the old pump apart to see how it works and why it failed - I've never had one apart before. Took a few pics. You can see one of the brushes is not sticking out as far as the other one. It's stuck and has no spring pressure at all so I'm sure that was the problem. The other brush still has plenty of room to wear and slides nicely in it's slot. The turbine is interesting, it seems like it kind of gives two stages of pumping. First from the bottom side, the cavity narrows as it goes along. Then there's a space on the side where the fuel goes to the top side of the turbine and is pushed a second time up into the pump. Clever. It doesn't appear to be overly worn or anything.

This is the original pump, has about 168k on it. I'm getting a new airtex pump ordered and hopefully she'll be back to her old reliable self!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190116_224138_1547705986398.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	207441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190116_224436_1547706029031.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	207443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190116_225233_1547706126478.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	207445  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Thanks for the pics. I disassembled a 2001 pump that was intermittent. I can't remember if the brushes were the same configuration. My two 1990 vintage Taurus when 250k miles without a fuel pump failure but both my 2001s died at 100k miles. I seem to remember that the gas actually flows through the brushes and armature for cooling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page