LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question Question about winter storage

So we have been getting a lot of rain here in western NY... was coming home from a buddy's house in my wagon. hydroplaned on a curve into a swamp... front end of car under water... tried to get her out by myself at first to no avail... my buddy came up with his truck to pull me out... so i take the hook on his chain and reach under the water and hook it on the "frame"... he starts to pull me out and all of a sudden pop... i see the hook fly out from under the water with a bunch of hoses attached to it... ... so i threw them in front seat and called AAA which i know sigh should have done in the first place... AAA shows up says they need a bigger truck to get her out... takes my keys tells me i can go home they will drop it off when the big tow comes... they drop my baby off at round 3 am... next day i go out and inspect the damage looks like power steering cooling unit and the receiving sending lines were yanked out... batteries dead ... charge it start the vehicle she starts right up "Awesome!!!" put it into drive to check power steering to see if drive-able... she is not going into gear ... reverse ? ... nothing... ... oh man.. ... get out look at front of car ps fluid and tranny fluid all over the driveway... check schematics... power steering and tranny lines yanked out... Jim Jim Jim... what were you thinking...? so anyway it is not in the budget right now to get parts and repair not until Tax time... March... my question can she sit out in the cold over winter with no power steering and no tranny fluid? please no insults no "what are you stupid?" remarks just asking if anyone might know... appreciate the help... Jim

You Generate What You Disseminate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Depending on the damage you may be able to bypass the cooler and replace the trans lines with hose to get you by.
JimLauko likes this.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

If the front end went into the swamp first. you are lucky you didn't suck water into the engine and hydrolocked it. A few hoses and pipes should fix you up, try a self service junk yard.
JimLauko likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
Depending on the damage you may be able to bypass the cooler and replace the trans lines with hose to get you by.
Agree and you do not want to run the engine with no fluid in the tranny.

As with small engines and I have a few to store for winter/summer. I like to run them to full operating temp and shut them off. Of course with small engines, I siphon the gas out and run them till they quit.

For a car, I would change the oil for storage.

-chart-
JimLauko likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:10 AM
Devoted Member

Garage
Use a marine grade fuel stabilizer in the gas or Seafoam so the gas is stabilized for storage.
Of course you shouldn't run it with the trans. empty.
Pull the battery out and bring it inside as it will discharge sitting in the car all winter and be done for come spring. Modules in car will discharge the battery over time and a dead battery will freeze and be ruined.
JimLauko likes this.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairman54 View Post
Use a marine grade fuel stabilizer in the gas or Seafoam so the gas is stabilized for storage.
Of course you shouldn't run it with the trans. empty.
Pull the battery out and bring it inside as it will discharge sitting in the car all winter and be done for come spring. Modules in car will discharge the battery over time and a dead battery will freeze and be ruined.
Good point about battery out. Frozen battery likely will leak when thawed.
As to gas: if the fuel system is good, it is sealed and will not get water in the gas.
-chart-
JimLauko likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Fuel stabilizer is great idea since the ethanol in the gas will absorb moisture and corrode fuel system parts. It should be one especially for stabilizing ethanol added fuels.

How far was the front end under water??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I actually did a can of sea foam on my last fillup... love the stuff ... ty for the advice as for how far underwater just below headlights above the ground effects... she started right up after i charged the battery...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

talked to my brother about this yesterday He is more than willing to come up and help me with the work... He is a former mechanic and amateur drag racer (Chevelles) ... i am going to call local yards and get pricing on used parts cooling unit Power Steering reservoir.. the lines will prolly have to be new... i am starting to think it is not going to be as expensive as i feared... i appreciate all of you and the excellent advice..

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

If the lines are pricey in most places they can be replaced with hose. Put a small flare on the portion of line that remains on the car to prevent back pressure from creating leaks.
sheila and JimLauko like this.

It's SHO time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page