OBD II codes. When do they get logged to the ecu? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff K

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
OBD II codes. When do they get logged to the ecu?

Im trying to determine whats wrong with my vulcan Taurus... it sounds like a valve is ticking, but its also bogging when accelerating.

My problem is the ECU will not log any OBD error codes even when allowing it to come up to temp idling for 15+ minutes.

Im using a cheap bluetooth OBD scanner and the free Torque app. had the battery unplugged for a few weeks if that makes any difference.

my question is, can you even pull OBD errors from idle or do you actually have to drive the car the 20 or so miles thats often cited?

I know for a fact that i used to get misfires and the associated flashing check engine light from a cold start during idle ( from the vacuum leak i was fixing), but despite it running HORRIBLY, im getting nothing at the moment? Can i infer that its not actually misfiring?

TBH, based on how it sounds, i dont think its reasonable to assume its not misfiring.

again though, is the problem the fact that im not actually driving the car? if so how can i find out whats wrong without driving it around? Again, it sounds so bad that i really dont want to put any load on the motor for fear it will just fail catastrophically.

thanks a ton for any input on this,

Tim.

edit: background info

to elaborate on this issue... i just finished doing a bunch of work on the car to fix a long running vacuum leak issue that was getting progressively worse.

this issue cropped up after i finished the job and started the car up for the first time with the front end elevated on jack stands.

i did the following work:

camshaft syncronizer.

new upper and lower intake manifolds.

2 new fuel injectors for cylinders 1 &2.

new DPFE connector( old one cracked in half)

new DPFE hoses

new motorcraft ignition module

Last edited by Queequeg152; 11-01-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: background
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Engine doesnt even need to be running or be driven to pull codes. Just key in RUN position.

What exactly does your scan tool do? Cant connect? Connects but no codes outputted? What about IM readiness?

No clue what you mean by "ignition module". Ford hasnt used an ignition module since the 95 and earlier EEC IV / TFI days.
Queequeg152 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Engine doesnt even need to be running or be driven to pull codes. Just key in RUN position.

What exactly does your scan tool do? Cant connect? Connects but no codes outputted? What about IM readiness?

No clue what you mean by "ignition module". Ford hasnt used an ignition module since the 95 and earlier EEC IV / TFI days.
jeff, i bought an OBD scanner reccomended somewhere on the forum here.

see link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

are you saying some OBD scanners do more than others? i was aware that snapons OBD tools had some fancy features that only they had, but do these small cheap units vary in features?

its connected 100%. i can read engine RPM's and fuel trims etc, but i cannot pull any codes that would indictate why my motor is running so horribly.

maby im being ignorant here, but shouldnt i be seeing SOME sort of error here? i mean its clear something is grieviouly wrong here.

again though i had the battery unplugged for a few weeks. i dont see why... but is it possible it wont throw codes untill its been running a while?

regarding the "ignition module", sorry im a layman when it comes to car parts. im talking about the ignition coil. it was recently replaced with a brand new shiny motorcraft unit.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Is your Bluetooth adapter actually connected to the phone? You would see at the top of the Torque app if it's connected to your device and your car. If you are getting a flashing CEL you absolutely will have a code associated with it so if you are not, you are not using the reader properly. You can see pending and logged faults with the Torque app.

Torque is ok for quick access, however if you want to go deeper, install ForScan on a laptop and use the same adapter to connect via Bluetooth to your laptop. LOTS more information there.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Is your Bluetooth adapter actually connected to the phone? You would see at the top of the Torque app if it's connected to your device and your car. If you are getting a flashing CEL you absolutely will have a code associated with it so if you are not, you are not using the reader properly. You can see pending and logged faults with the Torque app.

Torque is ok for quick access, however if you want to go deeper, install ForScan on a laptop and use the same adapter to connect via Bluetooth to your laptop. LOTS more information there.
yes yes its connected to my phone.

let me clarify though.

The CAR is not throwing any codes what so ever despite running so badly.

when i mentioned a flashing check engine i was referring to BEFORE i did the repairs when it would happily flash the check engine during idol.
now however? it wont give up any check engine light despite it running so horribly...

hope that clarifies things,

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page