Hesitation and stuttering during idle/acceleration - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Hesitation and stuttering during idle/acceleration

ey all,

I have a 1990 Gen 1 SHO 160K miles and it was running great until one day I noticed that it stuttered and then it progressively got worse. Now it seems like when it is under load / accelerating it stutters and seems to really struggle. Once I get above 3 - 3.5K rpms it doesn't have any of these issues anymore. It almost acts like i'm lugging the engine when at low rpms. Before this happened I did have a small trace of gas while driving but that seems to be gone now, although I don't drive it as much because of this issue.

Issue:
- Rough idle and can see on tac fluctuate <100 rpm
- While accelerating at low RPMs the car will hesitate / jump and seems like it completely misses. This is usually between 1k-2500 RPMs then at higher RPMs it steadies out.

Replaced:
MAF sensor
DIS sensor (mechanic recommended replacing this)
TPS
Cam shaft positioning sensor

My spark plugs are relatively new (<10k miles) and clean. Fuel pressure was checked and said it was okay. It doesn't have any problems starting up while hot or cold. Has anyone experienced this issue or have any idea what is going on I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
Any codes and do your butterflies open at 4k?

92 White SHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1994
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Check your vacuum hoses, especially the one leading to the fuel canister. On my '94 GL, it had deteriorated badly. Your gas smell suggests the fuel canister is not venting properly, probably due to a broken vac. line. A broken vac. hose will cause a vacuum leak, which is most pronounced at idle and low throttle positions, causing all sorts of imbalances in your intake manifold, PCV valve, EGR valve, MAF sensor, TPS, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page