Wagon - Removing rear window glass - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2000
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Wagon - Removing rear window glass

The rear window grid in the rear glass is ng. It's easy enough to remove the securing bolt at the top left, however, the right side one keeps spinning with a socket on the 11 mm nut.

It "appears" I have to use a vice grip on the center shaft to prevent it from turning or will preventing the large gray nut [against the glass] from turning, enable removing the 11 mm nut?

I presume this bolt is attached to the hinge - T or F? If so, if I keep unscrewing it, will it separate from the hinge?

What's the procedure to remove the wiper shaft? I have the workshop manual, but the shaft is very tight.

I used a multimeter = current flow through both clips, but none at grid.

When looking at the defrost grid with the sun shinning on it, only 4 lines each about 1' long [in lower left area] are much brighter [gold vs black] than the others. The window originally had a heavy tinting on it. I'm afraid I damaged the grid when I vigorously cleaned it with windex and denatured alcohol.

Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:06 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Im going from memory but the round head against the glass on the outside contains a female Torx head. You insert a Torx wrench in it to hold the shaft I believe. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Spock
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

I answered my own questions - posted here for someone else who might need the info.

Hinge on driver's side uses a torx on inside of glass. I had bought about removing the hinge from the body, but was unable to get a 1/4" drive deep well socket to line up with the nut in the body. Same on passenger side. Must be a special Ford tool

Removing wiper motor
Passenger side the securing nut was very tight on its mounting bolt. I got the nut closest to glass to stop turning with a players having a 90 turn at end.

Wipeer motor shaft has plastic cup on outside. Pop it off and remove nut. There's a plastic nut inside of glass. Gently wiggle motor to release from glass. Obviously u have to R&R the washer hose with a gentle wiggle & pull.

Hopefully the defrost grid works well enough on this replacement glass to defog it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page