Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Bulls Alternators.

This is about G-4s Alt and their voltage reg on Bulls. My experience was with a Lin Cont but it shares the (4G) Alt with a wide variety of vehicles, including DOHC engines. Just on one regulator number, I found info that that regulator alone was used on over 300 different vehicles. Likely the most common is F-XXX trucks with a wide range of engines and years.

My Lin had Alt fail at 47K hours far from home. I got a rebuild installed and came home the next day. Week ago, sudden fail again, 35K later. I pulled the Alt and all seemed good so I put my JY regulator on it and put it back for a trial. Worked fine. My spare was the newer version by the part no, and not a rebuild. It is now working fine.

I am adding a chart of the 4G and 6G regulators and interchange. Mine were the black case and there was info to only replace the older with the newer and not the reverse. Older did not have a grounding tab.

In the chart, the "PCM" notation is for 02 and later Bulls. Bulls use the gray or white case depending on PCM or Non PCM.

Doing the Alt on the Lin for me is about the same work time as the DOHC but less hard work. I put the Alt on and started it to test without putting the coolant and tank back. Tested with a volt meter in the power port.

With high miles expect the slip rings to be worn out so no regulator replace is in order.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	193322  
james27613 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Devoted Member

I only know about Ford 3G alternator because F150 uses it. I just upgraded 90A alternator to 130A. Honestly, I am clueless if 3G means third generation or something else.

Are you suggesting that Taurus and Lin Cont could be using the same alternator in certain years? Please educate me.

06 Taurus SE
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paker View Post
I only know about Ford 3G alternator because F150 uses it. I just upgraded 90A alternator to 130A. Honestly, I am clueless if 3G means third generation or something else.

Are you suggesting that Taurus and Lin Cont could be using the same alternator in certain years? Please educate me.
https://alternatorparts.com/ford-typ...ternators.html

Explains it better than I could. 3 & 4 have different mounts for different applications.

I never thought much about regulator failure but, go on line and lots of suppliers selling them. I got my spare at the JY and it was from a fairly new wreck. Someone took the engine but the Alt housing was broken and they left that on the ground. I took the regulator which is easy to get off. I then found it did not go with my DOHC Bulls. They use the gray or white depending on the year. Black was used mostly on V-8's.
The G-4 Bulls and '00-'02 Lin Cont uses the same Alt but mount different. Also different pulley as the Lin turns the Alt ~50% faster than the DOHC. Lots more load. Redundant lighting takes a toll.
-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 07-21-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page