Low Oil Pressure ? - Flickering Oil Light at hot idle - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Bump / quick update:

2 years later, Oil light on dash, on my 2000 Taurus, starts to come on solid.

Flickers / goes on and off / stays solid ON, sometimes, at ALL RPM. Finally stays on ALWAYS.

I am somewhat concerned - as I MIGHT have some major failure and possibly NO OIL PRESSURE Now.

But I continue to drive short distance back and forth to work, for a few days, till weekend comes.
Car is showing NO abnormal signs or noises and is working fine.

I do NOT believe I have NO OIL PRESSURE. That can not be. That idiot light on the dash is BS-ing me.

So weekend comes, and I finally have the time to pull the Oil Pressure sender, and install the Mechanical Gauge AGAIN.

Real TEST shows I DO have oil pressure. Real guage reads: 40 PSI at idle cold.

So my sensor / Oil Pressure Sender - is likely BAD.

I order and receive new oil pressure sender from local Ford Dealership.

I have not installed it yet. I am still running with a 1/4 NPT pipe thread PLUG there for now .
the old sensor is out. (and I don't give a sht. - because I know I DO have oil pressure - for the moment.)

I will install the new sender when I have the chance.
I may like to test it first on the bench, with a good gauge, and see at exactly what pressure it gives the electrical "GROUND" connection /signal to illuminate the idiot light. Just for my info ...

So I guess my point is:

If you have a flickering or solid oil light - there may be a chance your oil pressure sender is "on it's way out" / or has failed / or will fail completely later.

Sort of a relief. There is a good chance my flickering oil light, when hot and idling in D Drive at the stop light - is / was due to an
old, worn, marginal, malfunctioning - oil pressure sender / sensor - on it's way out.

[ like I did previously - you gotta do an oil pressure test with a real guage - to know the truth. ]

[ At this point, I would seriously like to have a real good quality mechanical oil pressure gauge on my dash - all the times.
But not sure if I will make the effort to try and install one myself on this car at this point. ]

It would be "nice" to be able to view the ACTUAL ACCURATE pressure of oil in my engine at all times - on the dash.

I guess it is nice to dream.

Maybe on my next car. Buy car (or truck) with REAL Gauges. Not warning (aka "idiot") lights.

Last edited by mrvanwinkles; 03-20-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:28 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Oil pressure gauges on fords are no different than a idiot light. My '07 mustang GT and every Ford I've had prior the needle never varies with RPM unlike my GM gauges that move with engine temp and RPM. Fords gauge is a idiot light with a needle unless they finally got real on today's gauges.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2000

New Pressure Sender installed. Working. comes on at 4.5 PSI

So I have installed the *NEW* Oil Pressure Sender switch today, and had one run, and it seems to be operating fine.

The Oil Light on the dash is off now, and has not flickered yet, when hot idling in Drive at the stop light.
I may have to do more observation in car, maybe after a good highway run, to see if flickering still at times, ever, when hot, idleing, in D Drive, stopped at light.

Before I installed the NEW pressure sender, I tested it on the bench, connecting it with a TEE fitting, to an air pressure source and a really good mechanical gauge, and an electrical meter on the contact.

Dropping the pressure ever so slowly, watching the GOOD / accurate pressure gauge, it gives ground contact / low pressure electrical signal - at between 4 and 5 PSI.

I would say, by my experiment, at 4.5 PSI and below, it gives electrical signal to the light on the dash.

THIS FORD PRESSURE SENDER COMES ON AT 4.5 psi AND BELOW - SEEMS LIKE TO ME. BY ACTUAL TEST ON THE BENCH.

[ If I could have my wish - I would connect a good mechanical gauge like that one I used in my bench test - on the dash, and feed it the pressure sample, with a small copper tube or something, thru the firewall. But I do not think I will go to the trouble to do something like this, on this car. ]

[ ? Install good aftermarket gauges ? I dunno... lotta work. But many do it . ]

At least I have warning again - if / when my oil pressure drops below 4.5 psi.

Last edited by mrvanwinkles; 03-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2002

So install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in a bracket below the dash?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

An old time mechanic once told me, "oil pressure does not matter as much as oil flow, no flow no go".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page