A/C Troubles - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
TotalDbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Chapter: Southeast
Posts: 107
Rep Power: 13
 
Trader Score: 1 reviews
A/C Troubles

Hello everyone. I've recently had some troubles with my A/C. Randomly my A/C stopped working as I was driving to work. No noises occurred when it stopped. It just all of a sudden started blowing hot air. The clutch still activates when I select A/C, the Freon pipes still get really cold, the vacuum line going into the firewall isn't severed, and sometimes I can actually get cold A/C to blow through the vent if I switch the temperature knob from hot to cold enough times. Does it about once ever 7 tries. Anyone have any ideas about what is causing this?

2000 Taurus
Vulcan OHV

"Dani"
2000 Taurus SE, 12V Vulcan V6, W/ 156,XXX miles. She is my first car and she is my baby.
Aftermarket Head Unit, Mercury Sable Rims, Centennial Headlights, Mach "Sail" Tweeters, and more mods to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TotalDbag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 9,599
Rep Power: 99
      
Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDbag View Post
Hello everyone. I've recently had some troubles with my A/C. Randomly my A/C stopped working as I was driving to work. No noises occurred when it stopped. It just all of a sudden started blowing hot air. The clutch still activates when I select A/C, the Freon pipes still get really cold, the vacuum line going into the firewall isn't severed, and sometimes I can actually get cold A/C to blow through the vent if I switch the temperature knob from hot to cold enough times. Does it about once ever 7 tries. Anyone have any ideas about what is causing this?

2000 Taurus
Vulcan OHV
Pic of blend door motor. This moves the damper to give hot/cold air. They go bad. It is behind the glove box and held in with 4 screws.

Note this "ATC" means it if for automatic climate control and it is black. For manual climate systems the box is white. No idea what the letters are for manual.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 09-14-2016 at 07:00 PM.
chartmaker is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6
Posts: 6,536
Rep Power: 65
    
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Pic of blend door motor. This moves the damper to give hot/cold air. They go bad. It is behind the glove box and held in with 4 screws.

Note this "ATC" means it if for automatic climate control and it is black. For manual climate systems the box is white. No idea what the letters are for manual.

-chart-
Manual is labeled "MAN" and OEM is white but some replacements are black. If you drop the glovebox you will see the box, behind where the radio is. You can see the white end of the shaft. When you turn the temperature knob you should see the shaft end turn, it not then the actuator is shot. I have replace two of my three taurus actuators.
Automender12345 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 7,652
Rep Power: 87
     
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Yup, the BDA has failed. Common problem.

Remove the ICP using DIN tools to access the BDA, and R&R the BDA. It is a straight forward half hour job at most doing it the first time. New BDA for manual climate controls is about $50.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
TotalDbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Chapter: Southeast
Posts: 107
Rep Power: 13
 
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Thanks guys, I'll check it out when I get home from work. How does one remove the glove box?
TotalDbag is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6
Posts: 6,536
Rep Power: 65
    
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDbag View Post
Thanks guys, I'll check it out when I get home from work. How does one remove the glove box?
Open the glovebox and empty it out. Push in the sides in the back to release a tab on each side. The glovebox will swing down.
Automender12345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TPS Troubles. BPtaurus Maintenance and Repair 2 08-08-2015 09:38 AM
More troubles with my Taurus. Ummabeast Maintenance and Repair 6 01-24-2015 02:52 PM
Troubles starting GoSloSho Engine and Drivetrain 14 08-29-2014 08:39 PM
02 sable ac troubles feerles1 Maintenance and Repair 6 08-26-2014 09:34 AM
AF5ON Transmission Troubles stubby Maintenance and Repair 0 03-29-2014 08:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome