My 3.0 DOHC Overheat Experience - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
My 3.0 DOHC Overheat Experience

Hello all,

Our 2001 Taurs Wagon SES with 3.0L DOHC engine overheated last month and I wanted to share the experience if it will help someone for something to watch.

Driving on a Sunday morning about ten miles to church the air started blowing hot. It was already about 85 degrees that morning and I thought the hot air conditioner just needed refilling with refrigerant.

When starting the car about two hours later, a ding bell went off and a warning light showed check coolant level. I thought just add some water when I get back home and went to driving while this time watching the temperature gauge. About half way home the temperature needle was at H so I stopped at a gas station expecting to add water. Looking at the coolant reservoir I saw bubbling green. There was plenty of coolant, but I did not notice any other troubles. When the car started again it had cooled to normal. After driving a couple more miles the gauge was back to H and the air was hot. The windows were let down and full hot heat turned on to try and cool the engine. The air blowing was no warmer than outside air. Just before getting home at a red signal light the engine was hot and upon take off pinged badly and felt like the transmission was having trouble. So I limped the car back home as slowly and gently as possible.

There never was another light to come on to tell me the engine was getting hot or having any other problem.

Upon checking the engine more closely, pieces of belt were found on the driver's side of the engine. It took a little digging on the internet to find out the water pump is on the driver's side with one single belt. I turned the water pump and it was sticky and not turning smoothly, so I went an got another water pump which had a gasket and a belt along with some spray gasket in the blue can.

The battery and hoses were removed to get to the water pump. Once the pump was out it was compared to the new and looked the same just had a bad bearing but had never leaked. The gasket was sprayed with the blue can, red colored, sticky gasket sealant and left on a hanger to dry. It took quite some time to get the old gasket off of the surface, but there were no other issues or corrosion.

The radiator was flushed through the hoses as well as the hoses to the engine and heater core. I did not run the engine, but felt I had flushed things well enough. The new water pump gasket was put into place and stayed well with the sticky stuff. The water pump was put back on and the belt put in place. Luckily the 2001 3.0L DOHC engine has just a tensioner holding the belt in place.

One full gallon of coolant was added with less than half of another gallon bottle. Full concentrate was used not 50/50 premix. After driving about fifty miles a small water bottle was added and there have been no other troubles with heat.

The car has 190,000 miles and it has been getting close to 100 degrees in the Memphis, Tennessee area recently.

Keep watching your temperature gauges in the summer,
Doverj1w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Ford Taurus X
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Nice job! Sounds like you avoided trouble.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus

Great write up.

Personally I would change the oil.

And the ATF. But then again, I have over 50 quarts of Mercon V so any excuse to use it up.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

That's really rare for a cam-driven DOHC water pump to fail. Thankfully it's a lot easier to change than the 96-00 design.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverj1w View Post
Hello all,

Our 2001 Taurs Wagon SES with 3.0L DOHC engine overheated last month and I wanted to share the experience if it will help someone for something to watch.

Driving on a Sunday morning about ten miles to church the air started blowing hot. It was already about 85 degrees that morning and I thought the hot air conditioner just needed refilling with refrigerant.

When starting the car about two hours later, a ding bell went off and a warning light showed check coolant level. I thought just add some water when I get back home and went to driving while this time watching the temperature gauge. About half way home the temperature needle was at H so I stopped at a gas station expecting to add water. Looking at the coolant reservoir I saw bubbling green. There was plenty of coolant, but I did not notice any other troubles. When the car started again it had cooled to normal. After driving a couple more miles the gauge was back to H and the air was hot. The windows were let down and full hot heat turned on to try and cool the engine. The air blowing was no warmer than outside air. Just before getting home at a red signal light the engine was hot and upon take off pinged badly and felt like the transmission was having trouble. So I limped the car back home as slowly and gently as possible.

There never was another light to come on to tell me the engine was getting hot or having any other problem.

Upon checking the engine more closely, pieces of belt were found on the driver's side of the engine. It took a little digging on the internet to find out the water pump is on the driver's side with one single belt. I turned the water pump and it was sticky and not turning smoothly, so I went an got another water pump which had a gasket and a belt along with some spray gasket in the blue can.

The battery and hoses were removed to get to the water pump. Once the pump was out it was compared to the new and looked the same just had a bad bearing but had never leaked. The gasket was sprayed with the blue can, red colored, sticky gasket sealant and left on a hanger to dry. It took quite some time to get the old gasket off of the surface, but there were no other issues or corrosion.

The radiator was flushed through the hoses as well as the hoses to the engine and heater core. I did not run the engine, but felt I had flushed things well enough. The new water pump gasket was put into place and stayed well with the sticky stuff. The water pump was put back on and the belt put in place. Luckily the 2001 3.0L DOHC engine has just a tensioner holding the belt in place.

One full gallon of coolant was added with less than half of another gallon bottle. Full concentrate was used not 50/50 premix. After driving about fifty miles a small water bottle was added and there have been no other troubles with heat.

The car has 190,000 miles and it has been getting close to 100 degrees in the Memphis, Tennessee area recently.

Keep watching your temperature gauges in the summer,
Doverj1w
First time I remember this issue. I have 2 '03's and sold '01 DOHC and have replaced the belts. Cheap and easy to replace. Everything wears out, let's hope one is close to home at the time. Pumps must be very reliable.

Good time to think about the rad cap. 2 of my 4 Ford products had rad cap fail. Ford changed the design and now the RS-527 replaced the original caps from the factory. My Lin Cont '02 cap failed and it blew all the coolant out of the tank in short order and I got a warning. My '03 Sable was just seeping out on top of the tank. Got my caps from RA for a reasonable price. Cheap insurance.

-chart-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page