LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2002
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Waterlogged: A New Piston

So a large storm blew in at the end of my shift, and I hoped to outrun the leading edge. The car hit a low spot, the storm drains stopped up, and so did the car.

I took it all the way down, and piston 1 has seen better times.

All of the cylinders will be cleaned and honed of the surface rust, and every piston will be carefully inspected for damage. I intend on going to a parts yard, and stripping an engine of the #1 piston, or the first good one I find, whichever happens. Does anyone see a problem with this? The car has 253,000 miles, and I really don't want to buy new parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0162.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	178425   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0161.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	598.6 KB
ID:	178433   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0163.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	178441  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Devoted Member

Year: mult

Is a used engine not cost effective where you live? I guess if the car was pretty worn out at those miles and I wanted to experiment to see I could get some more miles out of it I might. What else got water in it?

2006 Vulcan 64k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 92k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 115k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 18k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFail View Post
So a large storm blew in at the end of my shift, and I hoped to outrun the leading edge. The car hit a low spot, the storm drains stopped up, and so did the car.

I took it all the way down, and piston 1 has seen better times.

All of the cylinders will be cleaned and honed of the surface rust, and every piston will be carefully inspected for damage. I intend on going to a parts yard, and stripping an engine of the #1 piston, or the first good one I find, whichever happens. Does anyone see a problem with this? The car has 253,000 miles, and I really don't want to buy new parts.
With that much hydrolock damage, the crank might be damaged, that is twisted out of index. Has happened.

-chart-
ice445 likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

The problem isn't cost, it is effort. As stated, the car has seen a lot: would it be worth it to swap engines? Most likely not. This car is also a flex fuel, which only compounds the problems of swapping.

Is a twisted crank a common problem? The car was at less than 2k rpms, and every spark plug showed a massive lean condition. I looked at the crank, and I couldn't see any problems (take that as you want). I figured I get a 100-150k engine and pull the piston out of it, would I need anything else? Is the problem potentially that severe? When I unbolted the #1 piston, the rest of the engine turned very easily. (I removed the pistons to clean the rust).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM

Chapter: Southeast

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
I would assume to get to this point you've already pulled the engine? You're talking about effort but it would seem you've already put a lot of effort into saving the engine vs transplanting a used working motor.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Devoted Member

Are exhaust valves also rusty/pitted where they seat?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

The engine is still in the car, I do not need to remove it to get this far. The problem with swapping engines is that the car is too modern for me. The computer uses serials to identify certain sensors, and if the plug is loose, or the sensor is wrong, I won't know until it is all back together, and then I must tear it down. The effort would be significantly lower if I just mutilate a donor car, and piece this one back together. The parts in question are purely mechanical: the computer will not know or care if there is a change.

No, the valve seats are not shiny, but I do not see any pitting or scoring, why do you ask? Would the intense heat change cause the exhaust valves to spall?

Last edited by McFail; 07-22-2016 at 07:38 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

Just some consideration. If you pulled the pistons from the bottom you may need a ridge cutter to break the ridge on the upper part of the cylinder. Also the diameter of the donor car cylinder may be a different size compared to yours and the rings may not fit well. Your compression and oil control may be not what it is supposed to be. Might consider using a cylinder home to help seat the different rings.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Pistons were driven out the top. I know the engine is a 3.0 OHV engine, the pistons would be identical; the excess cost in building special pistons every year would defeat the "economy car" aspect of the Taurus. That and researching pistons on ebay show identical parts all the way back to a '91 Ranger, I am reasonably sure they will cross. The cylinder honing will be done: I got to get the rust out, or it will destroy the internals.

Kinda like sandpaper, but more destructive.

I know matching the piston ring wear will be difficult, but I believe that it would be more even than putting in a pistons' worth of new rings in a well broken in engine. Would reringing the engine be best? I have been led to believe the core engine is almost bulletproof for over 300,000miles; I personally doubt it would make a difference.

Should I play it safe, and take a crankshaft as well? What is involved in pulling a pistonless crank?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Devoted Member

I asked about the valves because the motor sounds like it had enough water in it to rust the cylinder walls.

On my 88 Taurus I pulled the motor apart similar to where you are at in frame at like 40k miles because it had piston slap. One piston had a skirt that was improperly machined from the factory and with a little time it would rock in the bore. I replaced that one single piston honed and re-ringed and that motor was still rolling down the road 90k later. On a side note, Ford actually paid for the parts I bought and installed after I wrote the letter and shipped them the piston. I had a lot of respect for that way back then.

That all being said, I think the replacement of the single piston, hone re-ring and put it back together was the right decision for that problem. My best estimate in your case is that unless this is just an experiment to see if the car will go a tad longer that putting in a motor that has not been hydrolocked and is in good shape is the better decision. For the amount of work you will go through pulling a second motor apart in a junk yard, plus all the work to get this one back together it would be way more effective to swap motors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page