Throttle Position Sensor Problem? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kellymm

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Throttle Position Sensor Problem?

My 05' Taurus at 90,000 miles and has been idling weird for the last few months. The idle surges and drops around 50-100 rpm. Dies on first start when it is really cold out, second time it will start completely fine. Occasionally, I will hear a strange sound when the transmission is shifting. Gas millage sucks, around 19 highway. I have searched for a vacuum leak with propane and can't find anything. When I unplug the harness from the TPS, it runs fine. I can even rev up the engine, and when it comes back down it will barely catch itself (will not die). I have replaced the following:

Valve Cover Gaskets
IMRC Gasket
Spark Plugs and wires
Air Filter
Cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor
Cleaned IAC valve

I haven't changed the fuel filter because I don't know where to find the clips. Anyone have any idea where I can find them?

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colerichmeier View Post
My 05' Taurus at 90,000 miles and has been idling weird for the last few months. The idle surges and drops around 50-100 rpm. Dies on first start when it is really cold out, second time it will start completely fine. Occasionally, I will hear a strange sound when the transmission is shifting. Gas millage sucks, around 19 highway. I have searched for a vacuum leak with propane and can't find anything. When I unplug the harness from the TPS, it runs fine. I can even rev up the engine, and when it comes back down it will barely catch itself (will not die). I have replaced the following:

Valve Cover Gaskets
IMRC Gasket
Spark Plugs and wires
Air Filter
Cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor
Cleaned IAC valve

I haven't changed the fuel filter because I don't know where to find the clips. Anyone have any idea where I can find them?

Any help is appreciated!
-
Clips at the "Help" section of parts stores. Need to know which ones. I have 2 '03's identical equipment: different clips.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 06-17-2016 at 01:30 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Model: Ford Taurus

Disconnecting the TPS puts the engine in limp home mode. It may run ok because it is running richer than normal in limp mode to keep the engine safe.

Check long term fuel trims on both banks at idle and 50 mph cruise and report back with the numbers. I think you have a vac leak you haven't found yet.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

How many miles are on the upstream 02 sensors? They become slower and wil decrease mileage if they haven't been changed.
Check the vacumm distribution box and related hoses for vacumm leaks. It's in the firewall, connected to the brake booster.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Cleaning won't fix a bad MAF. Go for a new motorcraft one at WalMart for $25. They can be bad even if there are no codes and they test good.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46davis View Post
Cleaning won't fix a bad MAF. Go for a new motorcraft one at WalMart for $25. They can be bad even if there are no codes and they test good.
I know we asked in another thread, but no response... Where are these $25 dollar MAF sensors at Wal-Mart?

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2000
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I want one too .
kekaye56 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page