Easy Way to Lube Door Latch Assembly - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Easy Way to Lube Door Latch Assembly

I had a door latch stick in the recent cold weather. When you went to close the door it bounced on the latch striker rod. To get it to latch again two things are needed. First to get home, pull up on the outside door handle and once up and still holding it up, use a pen or screwdriver and flip the lever down. The door will now latch in place.

Next you need to lube the mechanism, the latch lever and the workings inside the door. The latch lever is easy to lube but the internal mechanism is harder. If you don't want to pull the door panel, I removed the two torx bolts with a T-27 bit. I removed one at a time. I then use some light lube oil in a spray can and used a red tube to spray in each hole. I figured this out after looking at a spare latch mechanism I had and saw where those holes lead too. It seems that you can reach the majority of the internal workings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9859.JPG
Views:	1007
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	134577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9860.JPG
Views:	5070
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	134585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9861.JPG
Views:	3955
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	134593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9863.JPG
Views:	897
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	134601  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
I had a door latch stick in the recent cold weather. When you went to close the door it bounced on the latch striker rod. To get it to latch again two things are needed. First to get home, pull up on the outside door handle and once up and still holding it up, use a pen or screwdriver and flip the lever down. The door will now latch in place.

Next you need to lube the mechanism, the latch lever and the workings inside the door. The latch lever is easy to lube but the internal mechanism is harder. If you don't want to pull the door panel, I removed the two torx bolts with a T-27 bit. I removed one at a time. I then use some light lube oil in a spray can and used a red tube to spray in each hole. I figured this out after looking at a spare latch mechanism I had and saw where those holes lead too. It seems that you can reach the majority of the internal workings.
Good info, good pics.

I have used a screw driver to trip the latch closed to keep the interior lights off with the door open. Might try the spary through the screw holes next year.

-chart-
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Works as advertised.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
I just had this happen the other day on the wagon. Warming the car helped release it, however this can be done to prevent it. Good info... adding it to the Topic Finder

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info Automender! This has been a frustrating issue for my daughter and son who both drive a '02 and '97 respectively especially with the bitter cold weather we've been experiencing off and on this winter.

Today I took the top 2 screws out one at a time on the '02 and really hosed it down with KROIL and we'll see what happens.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Thanks for the info Automender! This has been a frustrating issue for my daughter and son who both drive a '02 and '97 respectively especially with the bitter cold weather we've been experiencing off and on this winter.

Today I took the top 2 screws out one at a time on the '02 and really hosed it down with KROIL and we'll see what happens.
You should also put a little lube on the part that flip and catches also, but that is easy to reach.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

I had this too, I need to go back and redo it with grease, but when my door latch did this I didn't remove any screws or anything, but I did use a liberal amount of wd40. I found that when it stuck like that, if I could put some wd40 in the latch, and then use the door lock post(where you can manually lock and unlock your door), if I pushed down/pulled up hard enough to make that go up and down and force the latch to work, I could keep using wd40 in the latch to push the water out, and it would free up. I did this earlier this year maybe and have not had trouble in months. I didn't have to remove screws either. Those latches get annoying when you are running late for work on a cold morning and just want to get in your car and oh wait, you can't get the door to latch. I will say however, on really cold nights, I tend to leave the door unlocked just in case. But we live in a smaller, safer area.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Year: 2000

Thank you for the info.

Here is the lesson I have learned.
Do NOT use "White Lithium Grease" or "Spray Silicone Lubricant" on the latch.

So far, I found "PB Penetrating Catalyst" works well for me. But I am not sure whether it is safe on plastic. So you have been warned.

Best
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

^ PBlaster is rough on plastics/rubber..... Silicone lube or white lithium grease spray is best to use on them.

Last edited by sheila; 02-11-2015 at 01:41 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM

So is WD40. I like fluidfilm.

2015 Taurus Limited
3.5L with 6sp Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page