Key doesn't want to open doors now - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Key doesn't want to open doors now

Ahh, as the temperature drops, the Nightmaremobile has to strike again...

I am aware of https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-m...-open-key.html from searching and will be attempting WD40 - i'm just seeing if there are any other good suggestions as well or other counter "DONT do X" responses...

Note - doors open fine! This is a locks problem. (doors, trunk, and once in awhile ignition)

For about two years the key has had increasing problems opening the trunk - it hasn't been lack of use that's the problem, I always tried to use the key on a fairly regular basis but it just stopped working 98% of the time so I don't even try anymore. That's an inconvenience but the internal open button has worked fine.

Now it's happening on BOTH front doors literally at the same time and is degrading rapidly in just the last month or so. Despite the drivers door key ALWAYS being used (so the description in the above thread about locks drying out doesn't make sense) and the passenger side lock almost NEVER being unlocked by key (so it's not an overuse or wear issue either).

For some reason when the drivers side doesn't want to unlock, the passenger side seems to be just as recalcitrant which seems very odd to me. Making me wonder if something internal to the power locks could have somehow been pushing something too far alignment-wise or who knows what...

I have TWO keys - when the locks act bitchy neither seems to work better than the other, even though I think one is more worn than the other.

I haven't yet tried WD40 (wanted to check to see if any mixed feelings about this being best) but this is degrading so rapidly (noticibly worse in just 2-3 days) i'm afraid of being stranded during our nasty deep north winter weather and for the moment have to carry stuff in car that I can't safely leave it unlocked either right now. But I really don't want to mess with fixing this in the middle of winter. :( Were well below freezing this week and I don't think it's going back up. I need a solution that works until spring at least before I even attempt to mess with the mechanics inside a door, assuming that's even fixable by me.

It MAY be flat out easier to install a keyless entry system or some workaround hack to trigger the power door unlock from outside if someone can suggest the easiest place to tap into the wires..?

Are there any other 'tricks' like banging in some magic place in the door that shakes up the tumblers to give another 'try' to the key or something? Or even something I could do as a hack (even if it might reduce security) til summer to force it to more easily accept the key? The feeling is very distinct - insert the key, and much of the time it's blocked going in one direction but not both at first despite jiggling back and forth - like it might only let me lock it but not unlock it. When it's blocked both ways there's a feeling of something just not sliding out of the way of the key internally. Jiggling usually doesn't help, so far removing and reinserting 2-3 times has opened the door but today for the first time the driver's door would NOT open and then when I tried the passenger door that was jammed too! Until about the 4th try.

So whats the suggested options, make a new copy of the key? WD40? Some other lubricant or something to degum/clean things?

Important Postscript! Once in awhile (much rarer than the doors) neither of the two keys seems to be in love with the ignition switch either, giving me some balkiness/doesnt want to unlock the column until I remove and reinsert, though almost always works on 2nd insert - so it's possible both keys are just degrading - but I have no idea how you'd RESTORE such a key, and due to them being diode-keys or whatever the antitheft is I don't even know where to begin to replace let alone without some big expense let alone rekeying all locks, ignition, trunk, and getting brand new diode keys probably some $1000 nightmare. >_<

Last edited by why_am_i_broke; 11-10-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: clarifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Get liquid silicone spray, put the small red tube on it and insert in the keyhole. Give a few good sprays, then use the key to unlock/lock the door. Repeat if necessary. I've done this before and never had a problem with a good key.

Also works good for the side window channels to stop creaking /binding in the cold weather.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Last edited by sousa632; 11-10-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Chapter: Midwest

I did that using wd40 on my car months ago and no issues since. Silicone may be better to coat the parts though as opposed to take away moisture.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Have had the door unlock problem with my Ranger since I bought it--wife's Taurus sits in the garage and has never had a problem. I used WD-40 to get the locks working, and then sprayed the locks with lithium grease. Worked for me. What I've read though is you're supposed to use powdered graphite because the WD-40 and lithium grease pick up dust and dirt, and you don't want that. Picked up a small tube of powdered graphite today because with the cold weather, the driver's door is getting finicky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page