Intermittent starting issue, probably entire starting system - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
What battery voltage do you have static? should be 12.5+ DMM. While starting vehicle should not drop below 10vdc. Do you hear anything from starter when you turn the key to start vehicle? If not could be starter or solenoid that is bad..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

This thread should be linked in some sticky about following peoples' advice.

The things I replaced and money I spent because of the intermittent symptoms:
$160 on the starter
$20 on battery cables
$80 on a d-bag mechanic who tightened my battery cables and argued with me for 30 minutes

It would start with a roar and then leave me stranded after a drive. It would start when warm and then when cold, 20-30 clicks and no crank or no clicks. But the electronics were fine. Finally I thought, you know what, I'll Frankenstein start it and get it to O'Reilly, check the starter and alternator and see what's wrong. How could it be the battery if a jump start wouldn't get it going?

In the end, it was the *** **** stupid ******* battery. Are you SERIOUS?! Strangest symptoms ever and it ends up being the simplest thing, the battery.

I'm out $130 and I basically threw a whole bag of parts at the car but I found the problem. I mean at least I won't have to replace my battery cables or starter any time soon but it was the battery.

O'Reilly tech checked it and it wasn't capable of putting out 650 cranking amps consistently and my alternator was overloading to try to charge it fully. The reason why it would start SOME times is because occasionally it could put out enough amperage to get going but a bad battery doesn't necessarily mean it's 100% empty. It could just have 10-15% of its capacity ruined which would give you all the mixed signals.

So yeah, I messed up. I'm in the whole $400 but my ignition system is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
I agree 100% with Mark...... Bad battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
The Tec is a DOHC not an OHV so it may help in the future to clarify what you have. Your description indicates most of the hallmarks of a bad battery. Getting it load tested is the place to begin.
^Literally the first two posts.

Last edited by Essenar; 08-09-2014 at 12:56 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Thanks for posting the fix, have to love a happy ending. Too many times on something like this the resolution is never posted denying the folks researching similar issues in the future the benefit of your experience.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:57 PM

Did anyone mention the relays under the hood? Like the starter relay to "start" with. One can always find some other car that has more miles on it and runs well, but it probably has had better maintenance in all those miles. I have found these cars to be more reliable than most, especially considering the use to which they are put. Or, should I say mis-use?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM

Same issue for me ! Haven't found the solution yet.

Hi ! I am having the exact same issue on my Taurus SES 2003 !

I notice that the serpentine belt was not turning when the car doesn't stat.

I had my battery checked at Auto zone and they told me the battery was OK but needed to be a bit charged ... I am driving at least 15 mile each time after starting the car so I don't get why the battery is not fully charged.

Does anyone know if there is places where you can recharge your battery (in Pittsburgh) ?

I hope I have the same issue than you and that it is only the battery.

Thank you for the post !
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoineB View Post

I notice that the serpentine belt was not turning when the car doesn't stat.
Can you clarify this? Is the starter engaging? Is the engine turning over?

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 AM

@jag1959
Well when the car starts, everything seems fine when it doesn't, the serpentine belt is not turning.
I have not check if the starter was engaging or not when it is not starting. But sometimes after several tries, the car will start.

Last time, I disconnected the baterie, pull by hand the serpentine belt a bit, tryed again and it started. This starting issue seems quite random.

Maybe I need to mention that sometime my braking light appears when I am driving.

I putted the car to a mecanic to see if he can find something (difficult as the car is starting now)...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Let me rephrase the question, is it a no crank no start or a crank no start? If the engine isn't cranking then of course the serpentine belt isn't moving.

It's SHO time!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 AM

There is a crank no start.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Since I've recently been in this boat (and I'm quite confident in my case it's the starter - which I plan on replacing this weekend) - I already replaced the battery.

Anyway - Here is an excellent bad starting you tube video that stresses the check the stupid stuff first....

(eric the car guy)

Most of what he says has been suggested as well in this thread.....so nothing new....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page