AC Clutch Removal question - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
AC Clutch Removal question

I've been perusing the forums and searching for ac clutch removal on my 2006 Taurus Vulcan V6. I am currently gathering all the steps, info and data for my attempt this weekend.

I purchased an a/c clutch (definitely the a/c clutch, had a mechanic look at it and confirmed that's what the problem is) from NAPA (Four Seasons brand). It comes with a bolt, snap ring and washer shims.

I am debating on whether to go from underneath, this definitely seems to be the smarter option seeing that removing the whole compressor would require recharging the a/c and that all seems fine when the clutch does engage.

My question is, I am perplexed as to whether or not I need the the clutch removal tool. From what I've gathered on this forum, it hasn't been mentioned. That you just remove the bolt and start pulling things off.

I found a PDF online while searching for "2006 Taurus ac clutch removal" and it referenced the need for the clutch removal tool. Here is the file:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...0_131214_1.pdf

Do I need to acquire one of these?

Thanks, I may be back for more questions. I am trying to use other posts to gather all my info though.

Last edited by daverobinson; 08-05-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobinson View Post
I've been perusing the forums and searching for ac clutch removal on my 2006 Taurus Vulcan V6. I am currently gathering all the steps, info and data for my attempt this weekend.

I purchased an a/c clutch (definitely the a/c clutch, had a mechanic look at it and confirmed that's what the problem is) from NAPA (Four Seasons brand). It comes with a bolt, snap ring and washer shims.

I am debating on whether to go from underneath, this definitely seems to be the smarter option seeing that removing the whole compressor would require recharging the a/c and that all seems fine when the clutch does engage.

My question is, I am perplexed as to whether or not I need the the clutch removal tool. From what I've gathered on this forum, it hasn't been mentioned. That you just remove the bolt and start pulling things off.

I found a PDF online while searching for "2006 Taurus ac clutch removal" and it referenced the need for the clutch removal tool. Here is the file:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...0_131214_1.pdf

Do I need to acquire one of these?

Thanks, I may be back for more questions. I am trying to use other posts to gather all my info though.
i managed to get the clutch off of mine without the tool, but its a crap
shoot. The whole job was one big pain in the rear.

If your dont want to lose your charge, its out the bottom. But its NOT
that simple. You have to remove the pump bolts, which are knuckle
biters due to clearance issues. Then you have to drop the subframe in
the front to get enough clearance to get to the pulley on the pump.
You have to angle the pump down when its loose. As i recall, you also
have to remove the lower radiator hose and drain the coolant when
you drop the subframe. I think i had to lower both subframe ends on the
passenger side before i was done. I also broke a subframe bolt which caused
me mountains of grief on the back side of the deal.

Also, look closely at the AC pulley when its off. there are rubber isolation grommets on it
that can fail and cause it to flop around.

I managed to twist the bolt off the ac pumps shaft with a power impact without
the belt being on. It might be tough to do manually without somehow holding
the pulley still.

also, there are spacers behind the pulley that sets the clearance between the pulley and clutch.
be mindful of them and DONT lose them.

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan

Last edited by soundu; 08-05-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page