96 SHO stalling hard in hot weather - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 96 SHO stalling hard in hot weather

My taurus stranded me 5 times today in horrific heat. I have NEVER had the car do anything like it did today. Before my car would very rarely miss and die at idle but today it died under hard acceleration and took a minute to start back up. I then took it on an 1/8th mile drive to see if the problem seemed gone and it was ok (i wasn't hard on it after that) so i managed to go probably 5 miles and then it started to lose power, then stall.
Got it to start back up and it went another 5 miles or so and it died again, started up after a few minutes and got another 3 miles and same thing. Then drove to a gas station to give the car a little break before trying to hit the highway again but it started missing hard. I managed to backup a very short distance and it died. Then it wouldn't start enough to stay running, it would miss hard and die. I managed to limp it over to a fence (felt like running on only a couple cylinders where it died as soon as i stopped) I had to pump the throttle to limp it over. After that i kept trying to start it for about an hour and couldn't get it to idle for more than 2 seconds.

So i got a tow truck to show up after exhausting all of my options and it started up in two tries (was like a 4 hour wait) and it made it all the way back home. (10 miles or so). but at a light i was a little harder on the throttle and it didnt have enough power so i let off to make sure i wouldnt kill it. It threw a code but i dont have the reader with me to check it. It didnt throw a code until the final ride home.

I know without me really testing much yet I can't be of much help, but does anyone have any thoughts on this with a SHO? I don't suspect i could have enough ****ty coils to cause it to die and it doesn't really make sense during driving.

I'm going to get some starting fluid so i can try to see if its fuel delivery problem, but now with this being my only car, i cant even trust it to get me anywhere. I'm pretty scared to drive it and get stranded. I was offered $350 for it but I obviously don't want to toss it yet when it may be pointed out by the code.

Also, this problem is not from the fuel level. I literally filled that thing up the day before.

So please shoot me some ideas or things i can try. I am so worried about this car that I cant even drive to my aunts funeral.

Also if anyone is interested in buying a welded 96 sho, i'm not against trying to just get out from under this thing.

96 SHO Silver aka Pocahontas 217k Welded, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Just a shot in the dark, maybe fuel pump on the way out, but working intermittently?

Tyson
No matter where you go, the first person that you meet when you get there will be yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:20 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2003
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty White Bull View Post
Just a shot in the dark, maybe fuel pump on the way out, but working intermittently?
^+1

Sable metallic 2015 chevy malibu 1LT with 21K miles---DD
silver 2003 Ford Taurus SES 146K

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 AM

Chapter: Southern

Fuel pump or CCRM relay going out when getting hot. I had the same problem with my 94 taurus 3.8 awhile back. turned out to be CCRM.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:33 AM

Fuel

Air

Spark

That's how engines go. They try to overcomplicate it. What is missing?

When the car dies, is there pressure in the fuel rail?

217k? in CHICAGO - i.e. rust belt - I would check the usual grounds for corrosion. Next to the computer on the firewall is probably the #1 suspect on a V8 SHO. #2 is the ground on the fender just behind the battery. #3 is the main wire from the battery to the starter.

Air - intake air temp sensor messed up. MAF dirty. TPS not reading correctly.

One of these ideas SHOuld get you back on track.

RICE - ITS WHATS FOR DINNER !

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok I checked the codes and I have P0307, P0171, P0174.

I do have one spare coil I can swap out with the cylinder 7misfire, bit what are your thoughts about both banks being lean? Bought starting fluid in case it stays dead for a long time. Testing spark sounds unusual with a cop setup. And I don't really know about the shader valve thing for testing fuel. And how can you test air?

Edit* it died again and started back up to make it the 5miles home. So its not only a hot day problem.

96 SHO Silver aka Pocahontas 217k Welded, Stock

Last edited by PopsicleAsian; 05-02-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Chapter: Southern

Have you tested fuel pressure?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galan747 View Post
Have you tested fuel pressure?
^^

This.

Take off the little black plastic cap on the small bike tire valve, on the fuel rail at the passenger's side by the pressure regulator.

Turn the key on for 5 seconds and turn off. Do it again. now go and take a small flat screwdriver or similar and depress the valve on the fuel rail.

It should squirt fuel so stand back a bit. No squirt = Bad fuel pump.

RICE - ITS WHATS FOR DINNER !

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Engine: 3.8L Essex

Seeing as how you say it happened when it was Hot outside & after the engine was fully warmed up, IF your still using, or just before the problem began, bought Winter fuel, which has had its vapor pressure lowered for easier cold weather starts, that lower vapor pressure fuel on a Hot day, in a Hot engine can cause Vapor Lock!!!!

We are on a major north/south interstate route, so see this happen a lot this time of year during a hot spell, with folks from cold country headed south with winter fuel onboard!!!

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger XLT 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.

Last edited by pawpaw; 05-03-2014 at 01:08 PM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 AM
TCCA Facebook Admin

Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
After doing some research on the codes...

Check the fuel pump, and fuel filter, replace as needed.

Then check the COPs, Plugs, and coil pack, replace as needed.

Then check your MAF Signal, then clean the MAF and TB. Check your EGR Valve, and PCV hose.

You may also have a vacuum leak.

I don't wanna see this SHO go into the wrong hands! Yes I saw your CL ad lol

Josh S.
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2003 Taurus SHO V8 - Dark Shadow Grey
2002 Taurus SEL Premium - Royal Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page