2001 taurus se vulcan 3.0 misfire out of ideas - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2001 taurus se vulcan 3.0 misfire out of ideas

Hello this is my first post on this forum and i am hoping i can get some solutions to my problems. So the other night driving home my cel came on and then flashed when i came to a stop. I scanned it once i got home i have codes p0301and p0420. I changed plugs wires and ignition coil still the same rough shaking idle hesitation feels like it wants to stall at higher speeds it seems fine though. So today i did a compression test which checked out fine the biggest difference was 9 psi in cyl number 2. So i have good spark fuel and compression any other ideas on what this could be guys? Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Good spark & compression leaves air/fuel. With only one cylinder effected perhaps a bad injector.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Are you getting the same codes after the work you have done? Have you looked at the PCV elbow for a vacuum leak. It may look good but press your finger in the elbow to see if it is soft and cracked. It may lead to nothing but it is an easy check.

Last edited by Automender12345; 02-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes same codes fuel rail pressure good but could be single injector i suppose. Once morning breaks i will check pcv and if thats not it ill pull off intake manifold and check injectors
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006

Considering the condition of your gas tank, it could be a clogged injector. I would think you would have gotten a lean code also. What was the average compression values?

Last edited by Automender12345; 02-26-2014 at 08:51 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Average compression 120psi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 1997

Recently I had a similar problem with my 97 3.0 Vulcan, however mine was a misfire on cylinder 4. Like yours, the check engine light would occasionally flash while sitting at a stop light.

My misfire problem was resolved after I replaced the (squeaky) original camshaft synchronizer with a remanufactured motorcraft unit w/sensor from Rock Auto.

Changing the camshaft position sensor will not resolve problem. I know this because shortly after I purchased the car back in Oct 2012, the original sensor failed (magnet fell apart) giving a trouble code and it was replaced with a new sensor from Oreilly's.

The camshaft synchronizer was not squeaking or causing misfiring during this time so the complete unit was not changed. Thinking back I should have just changed out the complete unit as preventive maintenance.

Later as routine maintenance, I replaced the coil pack, UIM gasket, DPFE sensor, EGR valve, IAC valve, throttle position sensor, plug wires & plugs with new parts so I knew that these parts were not suspect. Switching out a fuel injector from another cylinder did not help either. It was always cylinder 4 misfiring.

The camshaft synchronizer is very easy to replace when using the plastic alignment cap that autozone provides through the loan a tool program. Just don't tell them that you purchased the part at Rock Auto for 50% less than AZ! LOL!

Next I am replacing the 02 sensors after getting a P0133 code. They are due to arrive on Thursday from Rock Auto and will be installed Friday or Saturday. Then after the sensor replacement, I am going to rebuild the fuel injectors with new screens, etc from a rebuild kit I purchased on Ebay.

I really enjoy working on this old car.

Ray

Last edited by TaurusRay; 02-27-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page