Throttle body sensor position 1997 Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Throttle body sensor position 1997 Taurus

Hi all,

Im from Brazil and I have a 1997 LX Taurus 3.0 24V Duratec Engine.

Last year the check engine light came not off and the TPS Sensor broken mark fixed 17% open (in idle or full open) no more, no less... also I remove the sensor and the internal pieces shake inside... thats the end, sensor mark nothing...

I buy a "new-used-one" in local website for used parts and the seller garantee 100% works fine.

I can not mount the sensor so that it makes a correct reading, following image and video below to realize that it is the same sensor (bought used), my doubts would be probably the sensor is defective or have a adjustment of the idle position...

If I manually mount if 45 in "wrong position" its work fine...

So I do not know if I remove the throttle body would regulate this tip ... Prefer only remove if sure of it...

Use the ELM327 Bluetooth Scanner and Torque for Android software, could anyone compare these values ​​with me?

Any ideas?

There is my big baby and the video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM

my 1st question would be do you have the correct part since neither sensor has the same part number. ( it may not matter but I had to ask)

when the zombie apocalypse starts, i'll be in the graveyard playing the best game of whack a mole ever.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtruck View Post
my 1st question would be do you have the correct part since neither sensor has the same part number. ( it may not matter but I had to ask)
Well, my car is 100% original and never broke, and the sensor was removed is on the second frame in photo... a "new-one" is next... its the same for me...

Anyone have the expertise if have any adjustament in the piece of put inside of sensor in IDLE position? (mark as yellow in the photo) or my new sensor is out of range?

The Brazilian Ford company not seller any Taurus in brazil, 100% of cars came directly new one from USA, find original new replacement pieces is a nightmare... I live in Recife/PE - Brazil, is a 3.5 million people city, but I only see a 10 units of 1997 Taurus and a 20 units 92-95 Taurus...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM

I don't have an answer for you but someone should be along shortly to help. hang in there.

when the zombie apocalypse starts, i'll be in the graveyard playing the best game of whack a mole ever.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Cruz View Post
I live in Recife/PE - Brazil, is a 3.5 million people city, but I only see a 10 units of 1997 Taurus and a 20 units 92-95 Taurus...
Can you access eBay? It might be a better alternative to you for small parts like this one.

The only adjustment would be the "zero" position (throttle plate completely closed, sensor to minimum position). If throttle does not close completely, it might be something else wrong.

Idle speed is regulated separately, by the IAC valve that sits on top of throttle body.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

Are you 100% sure you have installed the new one correctly? It can be kind of tricky to get the TPS aligned correctly with the "tang" (flat blade) on the throttle shaft if you have never done it before.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Cruz View Post
Hi all,

Im from Brazil and I have a 1997 LX Taurus 3.0 24V Duratec Engine.

Last year the check engine light came not off and the TPS Sensor broken mark fixed 17% open (in idle or full open) no more, no less... also I remove the sensor and the internal pieces shake inside... thats the end, sensor mark nothing...

I buy a "new-used-one" in local website for used parts and the seller garantee 100% works fine.

I can not mount the sensor so that it makes a correct reading, following image and video below to realize that it is the same sensor (bought used), my doubts would be probably the sensor is defective or have a adjustment of the idle position...

If I manually mount if 45 in "wrong position" its work fine...

So I do not know if I remove the throttle body would regulate this tip ... Prefer only remove if sure of it...

Use the ELM327 Bluetooth Scanner and Torque for Android software, could anyone compare these values ​​with me?

Any ideas?

There is my big baby and the video:

Throttle body sensor position 1997 Taurus - YouTube

Your part no is correct. Fits '97-07 all DOHC same part.

Takes a bit of logic and care but, on the car, looking forward on the car, thus looking at the back side of the sensor: (side with the part no)
turn the elect connector straight down and push it on flush. Then turn it CCW and you will feel the tang engage the TPS just before your holes line up. Insert screws.

CCW is counterclockwise. Go the wrong way and you mess things up bad.

Now remove the accordian if you have not already done so, and move the throttle plate from closed to open and back. It should move with spring resistance. The throttle body has a spring and the TPS has a spring.

Best of luck.

-chart-
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
Can you access eBay? It might be a better alternative to you for small parts like this one.

The only adjustment would be the "zero" position (throttle plate completely closed, sensor to minimum position). If throttle does not close completely, it might be something else wrong.

Idle i aspeed is regulated separately, by the IAC valve that sits on top of throttle body.
Yes, I have access eBay, also alredy buy a 6 pack Motorcraft Sparkplugs, the time to came is over a month (30 - 40) days and the cost of mail service is over twice the piece
(60+ dollars), so I be afraid to get another new one sensor and have the "same problem".

The throttle plate is work fine, close and open smoothly and no grip at all... the engine speed at idle (zero) is perfect (600rpm) and perfet correted if turn on the air conndition or any other accessory...

My big doubt is if have any adjustament in zero position to correct the plate there is inside to command the sensor, apears to me it now about 45 need to be adjusted on a new position to the sensor work correctly.

If I manualy fix the in 45 backward position (no screw can be fixed) and test, I have a correct sensor read...

If I pop out and directly insert the sensor to original position there is a big delay to the sensor start work...

If a mount rolling back the position about 45 and twist the spring to original position, I have a big readind while the throttle plate in zero position, about 60%, and if I open the throttle plate I have a overload, the sensor show 100% whith a minimal twist and if I continue I get a zero position (sensor overload).

If I manually put a screwdriver the sensor read ok, 0 to 100%, the problem appears the plate initial position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Are you 100% sure you have installed the new one correctly? It can be kind of tricky to get the TPS aligned correctly with the "tang" (flat blade) on the throttle shaft if you have never done it before.
Well, I read a lot of manuals and videos in the web... the tricks is an minimal adjustamment... not my problem, is about 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Your part no is correct. Fits '97-07 all DOHC same part.

Takes a bit of logic and care but, on the car, looking forward on the car, thus looking at the back side of the sensor: (side with the part no)
turn the elect connector straight down and push it on flush. Then turn it CCW and you will feel the tang engage the TPS just before your holes line up. Insert screws.

CCW is counterclockwise. Go the wrong way and you mess things up bad.

Now remove the accordian if you have not already done so, and move the throttle plate from closed to open and back. It should move with spring resistance. The throttle body has a spring and the TPS has a spring.

Best of luck.

-chart-
part no is correct? My car is a 1997 DOHC Duratec 24V engine... and the sensor originally removed of my car is on the second frame in photo, work on car since 1997 to 2013...

I alredy do your recommendation, but while the sensor is in the "screw position" I alredy have a big read of sensor since the zero position...

Anybody have an scanner EML327 to show me how yours car work?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Flavio, start by putting the sensor on with the harness connector pointing UP and slightly back (perhaps pointing to passenger wiper pivot). Now rotate the sensor clockwise (as viewed from backside of the sensor) until the connector is pointing towards the intake manifold (away from you as you were standing) and the bolt holes line up. Insert screws. Next disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and reconnect it. Start the car.

The PCM learns the idle position of the sensor, and may be using that to influence the TPS % reading. So if you don't disconnect the battery the PCM will not know you've moved the sensor.

If the above doesn't work, you either have a busted sensor from messing with it, wiring that is faulty, or you somehow bent the throttle tang that fits into the sensor so it's no longer calibrated properly.

I think we have to be carful here guys because the throttle body on the vulcan engine rotates the opposite direction of the 'tec so the install orientation and rotation will be opposite.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Start by putting the sensor on with the harness connector pointing UP and slightly back (perhaps pointing to passenger wiper pivot). Now rotate the sensor clockwise (as viewed from backside of the sensor) until the connector is pointing towards the intake manifold (away from you as you were standing) and the bolt holes line up. Insert screws. Next disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and reconnect it. Start the car.

The PCM learns the idle position of the sensor, and may be using that to influence the TPS % reading. So if you don't disconnect the battery the PCM will not know you've moved the sensor.

If the above doesn't work, you either have a busted sensor from messing with it, wiring that is faulty, or you somehow bent the throttle tang that fits into the sensor so it's no longer calibrated properly.

I think we have to be carful here guys because the throttle body on the vulcan engine rotates the opposite direction of the 'tec so the install orientation and rotation will be opposite.
That is exactly backwards as I have stated.
Not going to argue.
Best to take the TB off the car and try it on the bench.
CW will turn the throttle plate partly open and not let it close.

Added a pic of the shaft in the position it is at idle stop. TPS if pointed up will not turn CW beyond the pic.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 11-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page