Trying to understand engine miss. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Trying to understand engine miss.

Have my daughters 04 sable gs dohc back at the house do to christmas break from school and it's having an engine miss problem.
I was able to pull some codes of po 301, 316 and the very common 345 gas cap code.
Some history here to get things started.
After a transmission rebuild the car came home with a slight engine miss with no codes so I went in and r&r the intake manifolds to replace the s/plugs (motocraft AGSF platinum) as a starting point. Checked all coils visually and for spark and the all appeared good. Replaced all plug boots as some appeared to have etchings from tracking and re installed the plunums. Problem solved I thought. Four months later the car is back with a engine miss and code po306. Checked out the # 6 coil, good vis and spark and swapped it out with # 5 and that gives me a 305 code. New coil in the # 6 hole and were good to go for another 4 months.
Now four months later same troubles of an engine miss. The engine starts fine with a smooth idle unlike the past but once she has a load on her and the foot on the brakes she stumbles just a little bit.
At freeway speeds with a soft accelleration she misses but under a heavey pedel she's as smooth as can be.
Now before I tear into her again maybe a little guidence from some who have had similar senerios.

Last edited by mholtel; 12-19-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Go read the misfire sticky on the top of the maint&repair forum then come back if you are still scratching your head with anything new you have learned.

It does sound like another bad coil though. If you have access to a PC and scan tool you can use OBDWiz to pull up data from $06 mode to see which cylinder is misfiring but not throwing a code.

Replace the coils with good brands not the cheap stuff! BWG or Motorcraft!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok Sam, I read your article regarding engine miss prior to posting and everthing you suggested, checked out good or has been replaced except for the coils under the manifold. Guessing I just really don't want to pull the manifolds again. This time I'll replace all the coils under the manifolds with quality coils like you suggested.
My OMD tester doesn't show that the miss in # 1 hole. is by a defective coil only that that's the cyl. misfiring. Can a OMD tester actually get a signal from the pcm that a specific coil is defective?
Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Today went in and replaced cyliders # 1, 2 & 3 with new dealer coils and got her back together. She now has developed a new and different poor running condition and with in a few miles threw out some codes. Coils c, d, e, f primary/secondary coil circuit malfunction. Whats with this? Friday the 13 was last week.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

You may want to start chasing back wiring/connectors for a fault

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Problem resolved.
Started up this morning and she runs good.
I'm pretty sure that the shop light I used was too close to the pcm or connectors somewhere and heated things up.
Something I need to be extra carefull with in the future.
Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page