Rough Idle, constant noise while accelerating or having foot on gas pedal - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Rough Idle, constant noise while accelerating or having foot on gas pedal

EDIT:
Here is a link to the noise that I posted on youtube. You can hear it perfectly in the first 8 seconds of the video.

Hi fellow Taurus friends. I have a serious concern about a recent purchase. It is a 2003 Ford Taurus SES Vulcan Flex Fuel with 166,000 miles and my question today is about some problems I'm having with it. What it does is when I start up the car and it's cold, it has a semi loud noise while the car is still in park. I do not know how to describe the sound, it basically sounds like the engine is running really rough. As the engine heats up, the noise becomes more and more quite but even after the engine is fully warm you can still hear the noise a little bit, just not near as much. When you turn the A/C on, the sound increases. When I am driving and I have to stop at a stop sign or stop light the car idles really rough while in Drive. If the A/C is on, it idles even rougher. If i am sitting at a drive thru window waiting in line, putting the car in Neutral or Park makes the noise practically non-exsistant if the A/C is off as long as the engine is warm. The car runs and drive great, the engine never loses any power and it is very strong. I never have a problem climbing hills or driving fast. The car has a lot of power. It doesn't die and my RPMS are never jumpy, the RPMS are always normal. When I accelerate, at any time, I can hear the sound. When going over bridges or driving by walls, the sound is louder of course so I can hear it more clearly. When I take my foot off the gas, the noise is completely gone driving down the road so it's like the noise stops when you take your foot off the gas while the car is moving. So the car rough idles, and makes the noise when in drive or reverse, sitting at a light in drive with the a/c on it idles very rough and the noise is loud. I have recorded the sound, and can post it some how somewhere for people to hear if it will help. I just started my car and put the recorder under the hood so you could really hear it good. As soon as I purchased the car, I had to put a water pump in it but it was making the sound before that and after that. Because the engine is so strong and runs so good, I do not think it's the engine but then again maybe it is. There is no water coming out of the exhaust pipe, and no exhaust of any kind ever seems to come out. No black smoke or white smoke or grey smoke. It just sounds rough and runs rough sitting at lights in drive or when you first start it and the engine is cool. This is truly a question I hope somebody can help me with. I just do not know what the problem could be. If anybody out there can help, please let me know. I would appreciate it. And I have the sounds recorded so if there is a way to post them or email them or share them please let me know. I truly appreciate any help. Thank you for reading.

PS EDIT: The check engine light has popped on a few times, but is currently not on. I had the guys at Auto Zone check it while the check engine light was ON and they said it was coming up something with catalyic converter O2 Sensor like a too rich mixture of fuel. They said it was because I put premium gas in the car. Even after putting regular gas in it, the light was still on, then went off for a few days then came on for a few days and now is back off. It hasn't came back on in almost a week now but of course the sound is still there. There are no other error lights. IF i have the A/C on MAX A/C and I go up a hill, the air quits coming out of the vents and starts coming out of the defroster until I am done climbing the hill then they start coming back out of the vents again. If it is set to the A/C only setting and not MAX A/C, this does not happen. Someone on here said that was a vacuum leak, could that be causing this noise??? I do not know. I am just trying to add as much info as possible, I do not know if this even matters but just in case it does I wanted to add it. The noise is made even when the A/C is turned off. It's just louder when it's on.

Last edited by user9797; 09-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM

Chapter: Southeast

Well that is a tough one. I am leaning toward a sticking exhaust valve though. here's why
1. ticking noise
2. O2 sensor running rich
3. rough idle
4. (and this is the clincher) it is louder next to a wall or bridge.
A sticking exhaust valve will cause more noise out of the muffler do to being open during the combustion stage and it is reflected up by the wall.
A quick backyard mechanic test is to take a small piece of paper, like a receipt, and put it next to the tail pipe with the engine running. If it flaps back and forth you have a stuck exhaust valve, if it is steady your good.
However this is just one of the possibilities but I have had an exhaust valve stick that caused these same issues.
The A/C vent issue is just a vacuum issue and I wouldn't think it is related due to one being at idle and the other under power.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Well I did the test using a plastic bag against the exhaust pipe. There was no suction at any point during the idle. It was constantly blowing normal colorless exhaust out of the pipe with no suction at all. Only did it for about 20 seconds at idle. Should I do it longer or do you think it might be something else? Someone else suggested a blown head gasket but my oil is normal color my coolant is normal color, there is no white foam, and my car is not using oil or coolant and I have put over 800 miles on it in the last week and the fluids are still full and a good color. So the noise, the rough idle when stopped and in drive, these can't be attributed to a vacuum leak? Do these symptoms sound like a blown head gasket or something else? Thank you

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Chapter: Northeast

It's hard to tell from your YouTube video but is it kinda a squeak tick noise because if it is it may be the cam sequencer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I truly do not think it's the cam sequencer. I have listened to other Tauruses that have that problem and this sound just doesn't compare to that or sound anything like that at least not to me. But i could be wrong, I am just going off what others have said as well as my own opinion. I could always be wrong though. Thank you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Time for a compression test.
There is a misfire, and it becomes more notable with engine load, according to your description. Worst, in gear (D or Rev), with AC on, cold. Least notable when warm, our of gear (P or N), AC off.
A vacuum gauge is also a helpful tool. A sticking or burnt exhaust valve will flick down an 1-2" on vacuum gauge.
What Autozone said about premium gas is BS. Did they give you the code?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

They did give me the codes, but I didn't write them down. The check engine light is off now and has been for almost a week, but when it comes back on I will take it back and write down the codes this time. It has gone off before, and came back on later so next time it does I will take it and get the codes. I will have a compression test done next week when I get paid and can post the results then to determine what is causing the rough idle etc. Thank you so much

Last edited by user9797; 09-24-2013 at 09:13 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Just had a thought and reread your post. The rpm's are steady but it runs rough? Could it be running good but the engine is "jerking " like it's unbalanced? Like maybe the flywheel is cracked?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 PM

Or motor mounts,,, this realy is a tough one, good luck fella's, cant wait to see what it is??? Lol
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Don't hold your breath. The thread has been dormant for almost a year and the OP hasn't even logged on to the site since February. Please look at the dates before you post to a thread

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page