Weird transmission noise ??....video of sound - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Weird transmission noise ??....video of sound

Hi hope someone can help me diagnose this... Thanks!
Well the transmission is making a screeching noise that sounds like metal on metal. The noise only starts to appear after the car has reached normal operating temp and is warm. And only makes the noise at idle or low rpm when not under any load. If its revved up or anything the noise will disappear. I checked the fluid transmission level and it seems to be fine. Not sure when the last time it was changed though.
I also changed the cam synchronizer to eliminate that making that noise since it sounds somewhat similar to a failing cam synchro.
The noise doesn't start until running for about 10 minutes and only makes it at idle under no load. The transmission seems to shift fine and the car rides nice.

Here is a video of the sound coming from the transmission.
2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission chirping noise? - YouTube

This is the sound the transmission makes when shutting the car off.2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission noise when shutting car off and only when warm. - YouTube

Thanks any help is appreciated thanks!!!
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Without a stethoscope check, it is hard to determine what it is. Could be a trans front pump bearing failing, but it could be something else too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I actually bought a stethoscope earlier today! I had it around the area of the transmission but couldn't determine where it was coming from.. all I could tell was that it was coming internally from the transmission. Maybe I should try the stethoscope at it again.....try and determine if its from the front of the transmission or the rear of it. Any other suggestions are helpfull! Thanks
Thanks again!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Sound can travel a ways, and a squeak can sound as it is from one part, but it ends up being a completely separate part.

It might be the torque converter too. sometimes if the bearing in that is failing, it could cause a similar noise.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeinen12 View Post
Hi hope someone can help me diagnose this... Thanks!
Well the transmission is making a screeching noise that sounds like metal on metal. The noise only starts to appear after the car has reached normal operating temp and is warm. And only makes the noise at idle or low rpm when not under any load. If its revved up or anything the noise will disappear. I checked the fluid transmission level and it seems to be fine. Not sure when the last time it was changed though.
I also changed the cam synchronizer to eliminate that making that noise since it sounds somewhat similar to a failing cam synchro.
The noise doesn't start until running for about 10 minutes and only makes it at idle under no load. The transmission seems to shift fine and the car rides nice.

Here is a video of the sound coming from the transmission.
2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission chirping noise? - YouTube

This is the sound the transmission makes when shutting the car off.2000 Ford Taurus Vulcan transmission noise when shutting car off and only when warm. - YouTube

Thanks any help is appreciated thanks!!!
Josh
Not sure if it applies, but scrapping noises on a Vulcan can often be the
water pump impeller scrapping the inner housing because of bearing wear.
a bad idler or tensioner can also cause some strange noises.

the shut off noise chirp sounds strangely like the sound of a failing shop vac bearing.

Not sure what kind of noise failing TC splines might make.

If it is an internal trannie issue, you might have to wait until it gets worse
or drive it until it dies. Unless you want to pony up $2K or so for
a rebuilt and new TC.

bob

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! The engine actually has a newer water pump installed on it....but the sound is definitely coming from the transmission side. I kinda hope its just the torque converter... don't want to have to replace the transmission. It still sounds like a bearing to me.. possibly the input shaft bearing if that exists? I don't want to pull it apart quite yet if its still driving good. Any other suggestions are great .
Thanks!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

After more research Im thinking it could be the torque convertor bushing?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeinen12 View Post
After more research Im thinking it could be the torque convertor bushing?
Well, you got one other possibility. Try to find a local trannie shop that
will do a quick diagnosis by driving and listening to it. Dont let them
tear it down. If your crafty, you can get there opinion for free.

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Yea I'd like to avoid going to a shop yet....I'd like to do the work myself as I am somewhat mechanically inclined. But I'll keep it in mind.... I still think it could be a bushing or bearing in the transmission that is wearing out ...maybe somewhere around the torque converter?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

That sounds like the transmission pump. Does it sound the same from below?
I heard the same sound from mine when I bought it, knowing it would need a transaxle overhaul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page