Freeware scan tool software: FORScan - Page 20 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.8L Essex

Trader Score: 0 reviews
If you like doing your own diagnostics & turning your own wrenches, a good quality ELM scan tool & FORScan diagnostic software (that's tweaked for our Fords), running on the viewing device of our choice is a very good tool to have in our electronic toolbox, as it can access all of the vehicle computer/controllers for trouble code clues, or put up their live PID's in various forms for us to monitor.

Vendor BAFX a gets thumbs up on this & the FTE forum, for customer service with any operational questions, item problems, etc, so before purchase consider giving their customer service folks a call, tell them what equipt viewing device/s you want to use the ELM with & they can usually tell you if there is any compatibility problems.

They've been standing behind their products, so will be there if problems arise. This running support costs them some money, so their ELM may not be the lowest cost, but they do warranty it to work & have been around for some time & have backed up the warranty with replacements even though they didn't have too!!!

Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger XLT 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

+1 for the BAFX ELM327 device, about $25.

Grab FORScan free for your laptop and $5.99 Torque Pro for Android.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.

This is BlŁe Longroof.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.
post #193 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 1 reviews
If you don't want to mod in a switch for medium speed can bus, get the OBDLink MX for $89.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2003 Vulcan AX4S Ė Spruce Green

If images are missing because of photo-bucket, please let me know via a PM.

post #194 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Fivehundred
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
It just recently saved me. Engine light came on and car barely running. I had a elm I bought on ebay for
i think $14 and forscan. The both can be alittle touchy. You have to download the drivers for the elm from one of the earlier posts, then, plug the elm into the laptop BEFORE plugging into car and let the laptop load it or something.

But this is what happen. Engine light on, car didn't even have enough power to get up to speed on freeway. No money to take to shop. Grabbed the elm and laptop with Forscan, plugged in, got something like "fuel rail sensor failure something failure. " Googled and got some really long winded 500 word explanations, utill at the end of one a guy said, "Loose gas cap."

Sure was, loose gas cap sets off pressure unequal between "Fuel rail" on engine, and the car computer puts all the injectors into some sort of "Limp mode" or default setting and car barely runs.

So, tighten cap, cleared code with forscan, and vrroom, car ran great!!! Now you know a shop would of gave some long winded explanation and charged me $400-500.

I had played for hours with elm and forscan before and it seemed to be touchy, and kinda useless once i got it working. But this time, looking at beautiful summer night at 7pm on a Friday, all the shops closed, and my $14 elm and free forscan saved the day. Drove to a nice dinner at a outdoor cafe with the money saved, with the sun roof open, beautiful night. Thats my story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page