SERPENTINE BELT NOISE - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
SERPENTINE BELT NOISE

I HAVE 1999 TAURUS DOHC 24V, THE SERPENTINE BELT SQUEAKS WHEN I FIRST START CAR IN THE MORNING USEALLY STOPS OR IS LESS NOTICABLE AFTER ABOUT 20 MINUTES OF DRIVING. IT SQUEAKS MORE AT HIGHER RPMS. I CAN SPRAY A LIGHT MIST OF WATER ON BELT AND IT WILL STOP THE NOISE FOR A 20 OR 30 SECONDS. I HAVE REPLACED THE BELT. THE WATER PUMP, POWER STEERING PUMP AND ALTERNATOR ARE ALL NEW WITHIN THE LAST YEAR. ALL THE BEARINGS SEEM TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE AND SPIN FINE WITH BELT OFF ALSO NO ENGINE NOISE WITH BELT OFF. WHEN I REPLACED THE SERPENTINE BELT THE SQUEAK STOPPED FOR ABOUT 8 HOURS. YESTERDAY I REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR AND THE SQUEAK WENT AWAY FOR ABOUT AN HOUR THEN CAME BACK. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS FOR YOU HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Chip or squeal?

Is the tensioner and belt tension good?

BTW, please avoid typing in all caps on the forum.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

CAPS=SHOUTING! Just a FYI.

My belt squeaks too, probably because the car sat in the garage rarely driven prior to my ownership. It has mostly gone away except for the first few minutes during the first start of the day. Doesn't bother me anymore, probably got use to it.

Anyway, have you looked at the belt tensioner? You ruled out the accessories, but I didn't see any mention of the tensioner in your post. You might be due for a new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

Replace the tensioner. Had the same thing happen to me on my 2001, it would chirp or squeak for a minute after starting. I had never replaced a tensioner in 25 years of owning multiple Taurus but finally had to. The only other trick would be to pull the belt and wash it with a good detergent and replace, may or may not work.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

noise is or was a chirp, i found the power steering pulley was out of alignment. the video was very helpfull. chirp has disapeared right now but may be there tomorrow if so i will change tensioner. wish me luck and thanks for all your help
Donald Amonson likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM

I've got a 2002 Vulcan, and the only thing that would fix mine was a Goodyear Gatorback belt, as mentioned by others in other threads. They're $50+, but it has been over a year and no squeaks so far.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

If it returns or alignment travels off again, the tensioner should be your next step
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Gatorback belts are cheaper than that on RockAuto.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Play

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM

when MY car was handed down it had 28k on it, was 10 years old. It always had a chirp but then after a year the water pump gave out. when it was replaced they told me the pulley was cracked and they replaced it along with the belt-it was fine for 18 months until my degaus tank went. It chirped for a few weeks and went away. now I just replaced the oil pan gasket and its fine except when it rains, then I get it for a few minutes and it goes away.

I had a mechanic tell me light sandpaper on a contaminated belt might solve the problem-Im guessing he was full of it because I notice no one mentions it as a remedy.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable

I tried the sandpaper trick on the flat side of the belt to remove the glaze a number of times. It worked for about a half hour before the chirping came back. Belt replacement was the only cure.

Except the chirping is back. The car (grandma's) sees a lot of down time. It starts chirping every time the car sits a long stretch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in