Steering wheel making a weird noise when turned - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel making a weird noise when turned

Hello guys,I just bought a used 1996 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 in May 28th,with 192k miles on it.I payed $1500 for the car.I though it was a great deal at that time,because it was a Ford and it was runnning,and cheap.

I had a couple of problems with the car,though.The car was very bouncy ,the engine was getting hot too fast,AC was not working and the steering wheel became a litlte bit lose after some time.

I had to replace the rear struts about a week ago.The car was quite unstable and bouncy,it got a lot better with the new quick struts.

Nothing that would compromise my safety,though.

But today,I just noticed a loud squerk metal coming from behind the steering wheel every time I turn it,to the left or to the right.The sound is coming from behind the steering wheel(I believe it comes from the steering column).

The sound happens when I am turning the steering wheel with the car stopped and running,and it happens at any speed.

Do any of you guys,experts in Taurus,have an idea of what this weird sound coming from behind the steering wheel when I turn it, can indicate ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Can you get a short video with audio?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes.Here it is.I don't have to turn too much the wheel to hear it.Sorry for the poor filming in the beginning of the video.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Sounds like maybe a broken clock spring?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Clock spring ?

That is an interesting point.Since some of the controls in the steering wheel do not work.I hope that is the only problem.

I will check with the mechanic.I just don't want to spend too much money.I just spent $350 to buy and install new struts on the back of the car.

What annoys me is that the steering wheel is a little bit loose when I steer it.Maybe this can help identifying the problem....

How much it would be for a clock spring ?

Last edited by Militaum; 06-26-2013 at 10:53 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Technical Advisor

Steering wheel should not move that much with the car off. Something with the steering tube or rack must be loose. Have a mechanic look at it and avoid driving it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Sam
breeves002

Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
He did say steering wheel controls don't work. I think you have multiple issues. Remove the steering wheel and check on the clock spring. If the wheel does move that much you do have a problem. You said in your first post something about the wheel being loose? It seems like its still loose.

Is your airbag light on?

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

I can only move the steering wheel with the car on.

The wheel is loose while the car is on,while I am driving it.

I just checked all the buttons on the steering wheel,they work perfectly,the horn works as well.And the airbag light goes on for 2 seconds and then goes off.

I think it would be hard to be something with the clock spring.Definitely it is because of something inside the cabin,behind the steering wheel,I can hear it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by Militaum; 06-27-2013 at 05:23 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

If the wheel moved when the engine was off I'd suspect a worn rack and/or rack gear. With it on, getting assist, I'd suspect worn-out inner and outer tie rods. The parts aren't very expensive and you can rent the removal tool from Advance Auto to do the work yourself. They're fairly easy to do.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Welcome to the world of Taurus/Sable.

My 1997 has a few minor squeaks and moans. Nothing similiar to yours though.

You may have to take to a qualified shop. In my rural town I have found an independent mechanic - who has been working on cars since the 1960's. And honest.

Has this car ever been in an accident? Sometimes the repair/body shops don't put all back together right.

Not to frighten you.
I had a neighbor who bought a very good looking used Ranger truck.
This happened over 10 years ago or longer.
His first long trip. About 500 miles. He arrived here about 1/4 mile from his driveway. And the steering wheel - it just spinned - and the tires did not move. Come to find out - the truck had been in a front end accident - and repaired. The nut on the steering wheel came loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page