1992 Ford Taurus Transmission Issue - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 1992 Ford Taurus Transmission Issue

Hello, I have an issue with the transmission on my 1992 Ford Taurus sedan. It started after driving about 150 miles straight from central to western Washington. When I was about 3 miles from my destination the car came to a jerky/bumpy stop, and then wouldn't accelerate normally. I gave it some gas and it took a few seconds for it to engage and jerk forward.

I pulled up to the hotel and parked the car. Then I started the car and shifted through P, R, N, O, D. In P and N, the car makes a rattling type noise. I drove the car to a repair shop and it was very difficult to get it to start moving from a stop. The car would either not move at all until I restarted the engine, or have delayed/jerky acceleration. One time I was stop on the way, the car died and I had to restart the engine.

So my question for you guys is, what do you think the issue could be? Since I'm about 150 miles from home, I want to get this fixed for as little money as possible, and I definitely don't want it to break down on my way back. Any help/suggestions are appreciated, let me know if you need more information.

TL: DR
Transmission issue, car makes strange noise in park and neutral. Sometimes won't accelerate at all, sometimes is jerky when accelerating from a stop. Seems to work fine in higher gears. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:00 AM

That is what I was told yesterday that a transmission would do if it was slipping, mine is just jerking, I have no problems getting my car to go or accelerating when it jerks.

Does your insurance pay for towing? That's what I would do, get a rental and have it towed home. Fixing a transmission is a job and far from cheap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like the torque converter may be hosed.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Devoted Member

^+1. Replace it with a daaco unit, not a Motorcraft one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

-1969 Thunderbird Tudor Landau 429 w/ 4 Barrel, 60,109 original miles-RIP
-2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 105,000 Miles-Moved on
--1997 Ford Taurus SHO- 132,500 Miles
June 2013 COTM Winner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Year: 1992
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Transmission slipping or jerking

Hi to All,

I have 1992 Ford Taurus 3.0 and Transmission is AXOD-E. Milege on this original Transmission is 160,000.

When I start the car and engages immediately in Drive (1st gear). if I am driving on up the hill, the speed is very very slow, no matter how much I press on gas pedal. Down hill is no problem. On flat road is no problem. On highway it can go high speed no problem. The problem is on, up the hill and sometimes it jerks on plane road.

One time on up the hill, it stopped completely, no matter how much I press on gas pedal. Than I shut down the engine and
started the engine again, It drove the up hill and shifted from 1st to 2nd gear.

The Transmission Fluid Flush, Change transmission filter and add Lucas no slip will help?

Thanks

Doug

Last edited by Doug; 04-25-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page