Heater core bypass - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Heater core bypass

I have a 1996 Taurus LX, miles unknown(neither odometer works, shows 36,000+) that just blew the heater hose at the water pump. I live in Guam and will never use the heater. Can I bypass the core with out effecting the engine cooling? Parts are nonexistent out here and internet shopping is tough for this hose as most of the places I've checked always have the photo disclaimer that the part pictured may mot be the actual part ordered.

If I cap the core inlet and outlet nipples and the water pump heater hose outlet, will the engine cooling system be intact and adequate? I'm having a hard time tracing the complete system and I'm thinking the heater may link to the block somewhere. Or not. The Haynes manual isn't much help and appears to serve better as a cutting board.

This my first post and I'm hoping I asked for help in the right forum. If not, sorry and send me where I need to go. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

You can bypass the heater core without any issues but you can't cap off the outlet of the water pump. You need the flow through the circuit but you can just bypass the heater.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

^+1

Flow still needs to occur. Bypass, don't block.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Upon further review... the heater core has ALREADY been bypassed. The heater hose coming off the water pump goes to a metal 90, them runs toward the driver's side right against the fire wall..then goes...somewhere. I'm assuming the block to complete the circuit. I can't follow it after it gets to the drivers side. Too much interference. Just hoping I picked the right hose option from RockAuto.

Thanks for the help. Just picked this car up a couple of months ago and the familiarization process is ongoing. I'm beginning to think Ford has a group of 7 year old girls putting these thing together based on the number of places my hands don't fit, when trying to get at various nuts, bolt and clamps. I hate those friggin' factory squeeze type hose clamps.

Have a good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page