Water leak around trunk vent, not through - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Water leak around trunk vent, not through

Hey all! New guy here just stepped in from next door in the Focus room. My issue is water in the saddlebag area of the trunk, but not coming from below and not coming through the vent flaps themselves. I grabbed a hose and ran water down through the drain in the channel next to the top of the taillight. Water is coming in where the vent is supposed to be sealed to the trunk body metal. Do I need to remove the bumper cover to fix/seal this up from the outside? I don't think it can be done from inside the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWGNWG View Post
Hey all! New guy here just stepped in from next door in the Focus room. My issue is water in the saddlebag area of the trunk, but not coming from below and not coming through the vent flaps themselves. I grabbed a hose and ran water down through the drain in the channel next to the top of the taillight. Water is coming in where the vent is supposed to be sealed to the trunk body metal. Do I need to remove the bumper cover to fix/seal this up from the outside? I don't think it can be done from inside the trunk.
Hers a picture of the vent with wetness you can see under it. EDIT: I rotated the picture so down is down now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	3446
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	66564  

Last edited by GWGNWG; 05-30-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: rotated the picture
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Yes, I think you have to take the bumper cover off and have a look from the outside. If you pour water along the trunk I don't think it should be running down inside the rear fender?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Yes, I think you have to take the bumper cover off and have a look from the outside. If you pour water along the trunk I don't think it should be running down inside the rear fender?
Hmmm... as far as I can tell there is a drain right beside the top of the taillight to get rid of water in the channel around the whole trunk seal. That's where most of the water wentwhen I poured it into that channel. Maybe there is supposed to be a hose there to direct it better to the ground?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Technical Advisor

Picture?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Picture?
Check it out. I'm pretty sure water is supposed to drain at this point but is there supposed to be a hose underneath to catch the water and direct it to the ground? On mine it just runs along the body panel and gets caught up around the air vent seal, leaking into the saddlebag area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drain point.JPG
Views:	3375
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	66553  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Technical Advisor

Thanks. Well the vent is on the side right? So somehow the water is running down and around to the side?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Well the vent is on the side right? So somehow the water is running down and around to the side?
I have attached a better picture. The carpet is peeled back and you can see the vent going through the right side of the trunk wall- it's the large black, sort of rectangular thing. There is a void between that trunk wall and the bumper cover- the part of the bumper cover that wraps around to right behind the rear wheel well. The water drains through this void and down to the ground, starting from the opening pointed out at the top of the taillight. So, the water flows along the trunk wall (the outside of the trunk wall in the void space) and down to where the vent punches through into the trunk itself. Water collects into what I have referred to as the "saddlebags", which are on either side of the spare tire well. There is a 3/4" rubber plug at the bottom of each "saddlebag" which is removed in this picture and you can see the hole it plugs into. If the saddlebag fills up with enough water it will spill over into the spare tire well, which I have seen reference to in other threads.

So what is my question anyway?.... Oh yeah- do I have to remove the bumper cover to seal around this vent? And second, is there supposed to be a hose to direct water straight to the ground instead of just running down through the void between the trunk shell and the bumper cover?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	8142
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	66563  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quick reply! The water has to go somewhere to be evacuated from the channel around the top of the trunk seal, and those holes next to the taillights I'm pretty sure are there to serve that purpose. Nowheres else for it to go...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Technical Advisor

Okay, well this is my understanding. The water should be directed so it stays near the rear corner of the vehicle. The fact that is is somehow ending up running sideways tells me something might be blocked or dirty so the water is taking the wrong path under the bumper cover. That tube is the sunroof drain.

Water leak around trunk vent, not through-rear-drain.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page