strange coolant leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
strange coolant leak

hi guys i saw a puddle under my car of coolant in my works parking lot when i went to go lunch so i topped it off with water maybe just a 1/4 of gallon turned the car on popped the hood to see if i could find a leak but didn't see nothing dripping so i drove about 7 miles as i parked the car i now see dripps of coolant leaking it seems to be coming from the middle of the driver and passenger side towards the radiator area as i saw the leak going on to the protective splash shield but so i topped it off with water then i drove back to work the when i parked and turned the car off, the coolant is full and the car didn't leak not even a drip of coolant so after work i i headed home i was on the highway in some serious traffic i was scared because i thought my car was going to overheat due to the coolant leak, but as i got home no coolant leaked once again? what type of coolant leak can this be? the radiator is 1.5 years old replaced with a brand new one; i mean if it was the radiator wouldn't it leak all the time when the engine is warm? again what do you guys think it is? a hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

The little vent line about 3/8 inch that goes tot the radiator on my 2001 leaked. It goes between the radiator and the top of the degass tank. Give it a little tug and see it it pulls loose fron the radiator. My spring hose clamp was weak at the radiator connection and I replaced it with a screw clamp.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Look it over closely from top to bottom.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

does anyone know what socket size i need to remove the splash shield under the raditor it looks fairly easy to remove it doesn't even look i need to use my jack pump for this one. Am hoping its just some hose or crimp or something thats leaking and guys you know what i drove today and no leak at all again.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Before removing the shield which uses some strange bolt size (I think it is 5.3mm but I used a SAE socket) do you have any green stains under the degas bottle and on the shelf it sits on. If so then I recommend checking that vent line I mentioned earlier.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Before removing the shield which uses some strange bolt size (I think it is 5.3mm but I used a SAE socket) do you have any green stains under the degas bottle and on the shelf it sits on. If so then I recommend checking that vent line I mentioned earlier.
no green stains under the degas bottle or on the shelf
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterf1992 View Post
hi guys i saw a puddle under my car of coolant in my works parking lot when i went to go lunch so i topped it off with water maybe just a 1/4 of gallon turned the car on popped the hood to see if i could find a leak but didn't see nothing dripping so i drove about 7 miles as i parked the car i now see dripps of coolant leaking it seems to be coming from the middle of the driver and passenger side towards the radiator area as i saw the leak going on to the protective splash shield but so i topped it off with water then i drove back to work the when i parked and turned the car off, the coolant is full and the car didn't leak not even a drip of coolant so after work i i headed home i was on the highway in some serious traffic i was scared because i thought my car was going to overheat due to the coolant leak, but as i got home no coolant leaked once again? what type of coolant leak can this be? the radiator is 1.5 years old replaced with a brand new one; i mean if it was the radiator wouldn't it leak all the time when the engine is warm? again what do you guys think it is? a hose?
Mine was just leaking last month. My shield is off. This time it was lower radiator hose. You need to take degass tank off and check for.cracks

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundu View Post
Mine was just leaking last month. My shield is off. This time it was lower radiator hose. You need to take degass tank off and check for.cracks
i've replaced that tank like 2 times now already lol with dorman ones
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

guys so i took off the splash shield i don't see no damage to the radiator and the hoses and crimps are tight with no sign off leaking also the car hasn't leaked at all today or yesterday so i guess this leak fixed itself. I drove the car like as if am driving a SHO and still no leak however i will be monitoring that radiator area for the next couple of days will be sure to carry a couple of gallons of water just encase.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Your coolant leak sounds like my brake leak. It leaks over night sometime, it leaks with the parking break on sometimes, it need leaks while I drive, and the wheel cylinder that's leaking is brand new as is the brake line. Who knows lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

-1969 Thunderbird Tudor Landau 429 w/ 4 Barrel, 60,109 original miles-RIP
-2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 105,000 Miles-Moved on
--1997 Ford Taurus SHO- 132,500 Miles
June 2013 COTM Winner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page