'05 Ford Taurus - Can broken cruise control affect throttle to not close? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
'05 Ford Taurus - Can broken cruise control affect throttle to not close?

Car is 2005 Ford Taurus 3.0L 6V Vulcan OHV engine.

The black plastic piece on the cruise control cable that connects the cable to the throttle body is very loose. The hook still connects to the throttle body, but the black piece seems loose (slides back and forth). If I don't use cruise control at all, can this somehow affect the car to suddenly accelerate still? Maybe the cruise control is supposed to help close the throttle body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
The part that is binding is usually the clip that attaches the cable to the metal bracket near the throttle body. Grey I believe. You can either replace the clip (cable assembly), or you can disconnect the cruise.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Check out this thread. Page 3 shows what I'm talking about.
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-...-5-recall.html

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

The answer is YES. See link in the thread above. You should safe it by putting a zip tie around it so it can't possibly come off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
The answer is YES. See link in the thread above. You should safe it by putting a zip tie around it so it can't possibly come off.
How would it coming off affect the throttle though? I don't understand. If it's not hooked to the throttle, than how can it in anyway pull the throttle open?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Don't Be Stupid

I don't know what that poster is envisioning, but here is what happened to me (twice)

The cable passes through a bracket on its way to the throttle body. On this bracket is a grey clip that the cable tube passes through. The clip breaks, allowing the cable tube to pull out and shoulder on the edge of the clip. This pulls the cable attached to the throttle body out about 1/2".

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallows View Post
How would it coming off affect the throttle though? I don't understand. If it's not hooked to the throttle, than how can it in anyway pull the throttle open?
Because when it comes off the lug, the part that moves with the throttle can come back and get stuck on the end of the cruise cable clip, which will prevent the throttle from closing completely. If you don't know what I mean, take the cable clip off then open/close the throttle and you'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page