P/N for Radiator Lower Hose? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
P/N for Radiator Lower Hose?

It's time to finally change the original radiator of my 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon which has 284,000 miles on it. I might as well take care of the surrounding hoses since they are the originals. I am trying to gather the parts necessary to do this and I am getting a bit confused on the P/N of the Radiator Lower Hose.

According to Ford's website, it's diagram 8286, P/N KM-3265, $55.56
If I look at Rock Auto website, Motorcraft P/N KM-4517, $27.79

Trying to save some money and keep the car going until 300,000 and perhaps more.

Any information is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Vulcan or Duratec engine?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Duratec 3.0 24V DOHC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Oem Dorman part#626-209 (metal pipe/rubber hose assy.) or convert to a 22" x 1.5" flex hose from Advance Auto part#2221 ($16). Flex hose, 2 clamps and 2 cable ties to secure hose from belt and pulley.

Last edited by sheila; 07-31-2012 at 12:03 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1996
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon

I think you mean the lower hose which is the radiator to thermostat.

It looks like this.

More Information for DAYCO 71939

To save money get the dayco, gates or goodyear from Rock auto. Which ever is cheapest after factoring in the shipping costs.

Sheila is refering to the metal tube and hose assembly that comes out of the bottom of the water pump. It is a good Idea to check this out as they are known to rust through. If it just has some surface rust clean it up and paint it with a POR -15 or the Rustoleum product that you can use over rust. It is not as good as Por -15 but it is cheaper and better than most other paints. But most any paint is better than nothing.

The on line Dealers wants well over $125 for this hose-tube assembly. AZ wants $165 for the Dorman assembly. I just looked this up and was shocked at that price. Talk about gouging. I thought the Dorman was about $90 two years ago. I did not see it on Rock Auto. For that kind of money use the flex tube approach. Here it is so you can see a picture of it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=977354_0_0_

Here is a thread that describes installing a 20" or 22" long x 1.5" diameter flex hose instead of this assembly. It has great input from many contributers.

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-m...lant-tube.html

If you use the 20" hose as described in the thread you can get away with out having to use tie wraps. Nearly 3 years later I can attest it is holding up just fine and no worries of it hitting the belt or fretting against anything. The thread posts reminded me that it was a PITA to remove the tube assembly and to install a new one would require a bit of work. For that reason and the cost savings, should you need to replace it, you probaly want to take the flex hose route.

Good Luck.

Last edited by nbpt100; 07-31-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all those suggestions.

Now I have another question relating the radiator. I got my radiator and I decided to take a quick look at what I will be up against by removing the splash shield.

I noticed there what appears to be a long foam piece at the bottom of the radiator. My new Radiator from Ford does not have that foam piece. I did some checking on Ford's website and there appears to be 2 pieces, one for the top and bottom of the Radiator. It is referred to as Bottom Radiator Seal but at $80.48 a piece retail? Is this the correct part I need to get since the one on the vehicle appears to also need replacing? I would need 2 for the top also.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page