tie rod help - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
tie rod help

I just put new tie rods on my gf's car (inner and outter). It's an '03 ses sedan if that makes a difference. Anyway I'm getting some play which seems to be coming from the passenger side. The only way I can describe it is if you turn sharp or hit a bump a certain way you get a "pop" feeling. Like there's play in it that suddenly lets out, you can feel the tire come out further than it should and the car move slightly. I gave it a quick look over and didn't see anything odd, maybe I should retighten everything? First time I've done these on a taurus but just wanted to see what some of the more experienced Taurus guys have to say.
Also I'm assuming the parts on it were original, they had green clips or something behind the inner tie rods, wasn't sure if these were supposed to go back on. The new ones didn't come with any type of replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Have you had it aligned yet?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback but no I hadn't had it aligned when I posted that. Finally had it done tuesday. It still pulls to the right but the front end feels better overall. Was told that the rear may need to be aligned from the strut bushing being shot for an extended period of time?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM

A pop "feeling" or a pop sound?

The only thing I've ever actually heard make an audible pop is a sub frame bushing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo27ny View Post
I just put new tie rods on my gf's car (inner and outter). It's an '03 ses sedan if that makes a difference. Anyway I'm getting some play which seems to be coming from the passenger side. The only way I can describe it is if you turn sharp or hit a bump a certain way you get a "pop" feeling. Like there's play in it that suddenly lets out, you can feel the tire come out further than it should and the car move slightly. I gave it a quick look over and didn't see anything odd, maybe I should retighten everything? First time I've done these on a taurus but just wanted to see what some of the more experienced Taurus guys have to say.
Also I'm assuming the parts on it were original, they had green clips or something behind the inner tie rods, wasn't sure if these were supposed to go back on. The new ones didn't come with any type of replacement.
Did you check the Inner tie rod ends at the rack for play?
Stabilizer bar links are solid?
Lower ball joints?
Motor mounts not broke?

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page