I read the common problems section for gas tank replacment. It shows a top view picture of a gen 4 gas tank. I have a 96(gen 3) and I suspect a leak from the top of the tank. Obviously I don't know if it is a hose or the tank with out lowering the tank. I may as well replace the tank if I have to go through all of that trouble. After all it is the Original.
The thread suggests replacing the Pump and sending unit at the same time and I likely will do it also. Again, They are original.
I DL'ed a picture someone generosly put up of a gen 4. I annoted it as best I understood and attached it with this post. If I am incorrect on anything please say so.
My questions are as follows.
1. How different is the top of the tank for a gen 3 vs. gen 4.
2. I see a 18 and 16 gallon tanks are available. I have a wagon and assume it is a 16 gallon. Are the two interchangable? I assume the 18 is for SHO
3. How much gas can I get out by siphoning? Is it worth siphoning if I can run it down to a gallon or so?
4. Can one man do this alone?
5. What are the 2 blue fittings in the picture and how are they removed? Are they used in a Gen 3?
6. Can I easily/safely remove the pump ring with a screw driver and hammer. Someone suggested it but another suggested using a brass drift pin. I assume because of possible sparking.
7. Anything special I need to be aware of that was not identified in the common problems gas tank thread?
8. Are hoses dealer only item? I suspect so but someone here will know for sure.