coolant in the oil, am I ok? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
coolant in the oil, am I ok?

I blundered while installing timing cover gasket. I didn't notice gasket shifting while installing it, until i started pouring in new coolant after the job. Coolant started draining out of timing cover. This is after I just did an oil change and filter. Waste of 25 dollars in oil and filter.

I dumped the oil and filter and saw probably about 2 quarts of coolant that mixed with the oil. I never ran the engine. So restricted the movement of the coolant.

Re did timing cover gasket, this time it was a good seal.

Again I put in new oil and filter. Ran for 10 miles. Everything ok. But wanted to be cautious. So I drained this new oil out and changed the filter again. Looked at the oil. It looked ok from my perspective, could be traces of coolant in there. I don't know. So I put new oil in and filter. That is where I stand now.

You think I am ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Your fine - Good job on the catch though! Front timing covers aren't fun are they? As long as the engine was not run it didn't have a chance to contaminate the bearings.

Troy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Model: 2000 SE + SVG Pkg. without alloys
Color: Tropic Green Clearcoat Metallic.
Engine: 3.0L FFV Vulcan (2v)
Transmission: AX4S / AXOD
Mods: Mach Audio RCU and Sail Tweeters, Upgraded OEM CD player, Infinity Reference 6x8's in all 4 corners,
Centennial Headlight Mod, Green LED Gauges, Painted Gauge bezel and K&N Custom intake system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.

Your right timing cover is not fun, especially when i did the whole timing cover again. So many things to come off. bought new oil pan gasket also. I did learn allot.

As far the as the "catching the leak, it became so obvious, once I started pouring the coolant in the radiator, it came pouring out. I wasn't running the engine. Dumped the oil and filter as i said, after sealing it up but then did drive 10 miles after doing this with new oil and filter. Maybe I shouldn't have. But as said, I did another oil change and filter again after the 10 miles.

I wonder should i do another oil and dump again. Gets costly to do it again and don't want to do it again for sheer principle of the matter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter5 View Post
I blundered while installing timing cover gasket. I didn't notice gasket shifting while installing it, until i started pouring in new coolant after the job. Coolant started draining out of timing cover. This is after I just did an oil change and filter. Waste of 25 dollars in oil and filter.

I dumped the oil and filter and saw probably about 2 quarts of coolant that mixed with the oil. I never ran the engine. So restricted the movement of the coolant.

Re did timing cover gasket, this time it was a good seal.

Again I put in new oil and filter. Ran for 10 miles. Everything ok. But wanted to be cautious. So I drained this new oil out and changed the filter again. Looked at the oil. It looked ok from my perspective, could be traces of coolant in there. I don't know. So I put new oil in and filter. That is where I stand now.

You think I am ok?
Good spotting saved you. Just keep the oile clean and watch the first few miles for color changes or funky oil dip stick!1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for response. I will keep close eye on it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

As other have mentioned, you did right on what you have done so far. But don't worry about changing the oil again. As Downhill mentioned, just check the oil color in a little while to be 100% certain, but you should be find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition. How true, how true. Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page