Replace Torque Coverter in 97 AX4N Transmission - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Replace Torque Coverter in 97 AX4N Transmission

Hey guys just wandering if anyone has replaced the torque converter in an AX4N tranny in a 97 taurus before and if anyone has any advice or maybe a walkthrough on how to go about it.
thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe802 View Post
Hey guys just wandering if anyone has replaced the torque converter in an AX4N tranny in a 97 taurus before and if anyone has any advice or maybe a walkthrough on how to go about it.
thanks in advance.
It is a big task!! You need special tools and some good way to get the car up in the air at least 2-3 feet. If you have other transportation that would be good. I have never seen anyone do it on there own easily yet and I have helped on a couple!!
Go to a good independent tranny shop. You will be $$ ahead!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Chapter: West Coast

^ ditto to that.
As well...I'm somewhat surprised SHOsource hasn't said anything yet, but on the site they have torque converters. From stock replacement to performance, all lighter than oem. Save a bit more money and all you'll pay for is labor at a shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do you like Mountain Dew? Then you like 75% of me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM

My 2000 Merc Sable/Taurus has the AX4N, and I had to replace the front seal which damaged the snout of my torque converter by making a tiny little grove in it's snout resulting in a leak. Otherwise the transmission worked perfectly. $12 for a seal and $100 for torque converter, plus a whole bunch $'s for other parts like hoses and vacuum lines you'll replace just because it's really difficult to get later on.

As mentioned it's a nightmare for normal people that don't have professional equipment like a car lift and a 1st class transmission lift.

Ford designed the entire engine/transaxle to be supported and installed in the factory as a single assembly with a single carrier. When you drop the carrier everything wants to come out, but that is a huge pain to disconnect the entire engine from the "car".

So what they do is unbolt the transaxle from the engine and drop the transaxle from below with the carrier while still supporting the engine with some jury-rigged chains and braces. If your a Ford mech and have the right stuff it's better, but still a jury-rigged IMHO.

It can be done if you got the tools and some fairly large brass ones but it's not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-21-2012 at 05:13 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Devoted Member

I did the entire transmission myself including TC. Support bar is available from Harbor Freight. Support engine/trans,unbolt steering rack from subframe and tie up, subframe comes out, axles pull out, wires and lines disconnect , separate from engine and it comes down on a tranny jack. There are write ups here. It's not easy, but can be done. An extra person comes in handy too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egiroux View Post
I did the entire transmission myself including TC. Support bar is available from Harbor Freight. Support engine/trans,unbolt steering rack from subframe and tie up, subframe comes out, axles pull out, wires and lines disconnect , separate from engine and it comes down on a tranny jack. There are write ups here. It's not easy, but can be done. An extra person comes in handy too.
I helped a friend this spring with a 96 Sable AX4S on a Duratec 24 valve. Took a day to get it in the air and all of the prep work started. Took most of a day to get the parts off and in an appropriate cleaning pile. Took two days to really get the tranny out, open and parts assessed, ordered and some planning over beer!!
A week later it was back together. It was a spare time and after hour job after we got the big part done. Needless to say, it was a lot of work without a hoist!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys sounds like a big job. i have friends that will help and can probably get access to a hoist. might investigate some more first though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Devoted Member

+ 20 on the hoist. I have dreams of one appearing in my shop some day!! With a hoist and the chorus of good friends you can pull it off. Just take your time and get it right!!! To much work for another disaster!! Just be safe, the stuff is heavy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page