Misfiring Duratec with P0300 and P0316 - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
OK the eyes are getting old. This morning I took the coil pack outside in the bright sunlight an spotted a very fine vertical crack along the back corner. Looks like I'll be buying a coil pack. I'm not in a huge rush so I might mail order one. Any suggestions for a good source?

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Either Motorcraft or BWD. Stay away from the cheap AZ Duralast junk. If you dont mind waiting a few days, get a Motorcraft from Rockauto.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Jeff I took your advice and got the BWD coil pack to get my wife back on the road with her beloved car.

So the good news is the obvious misfire is mostly gone. Before the coil replacement I was getting an obnoxious misfire about every one or two seconds that was pretty rough. Now it has a slight stumble around every 10 to 15 seconds.

Maybe I'll go back to Autozone to see if it's still throwing p0300 and p0316. I still might change the wires. It's much more tolerable now but not perfect.

Thanks,
Steve

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Took the Taurus back to Autozone after changing the coil pack and good news, codes p0300 and p3016 went away and no codes are being displayed. I still want to correct the occasional stumble I'm experiencing.

The Autozone fellow said I should replace the wires as a bad coils can stress the wires. Not sure I believe him on that point but after 80k miles it still may be a good idea.

I bought a gas filter and injection cleaner for good measure. If I don't see any results I'll go ahead and replace the wires.

Any thoughts?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Change the plug where the bad coil was.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I changed out all 6 with Motocraft about 3k before I discovered the coil was bad. Are you saying to change the affected plug again? I took them out for inspection before the coil was replaced as well and didn't keep them in order.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't get it! I just moved the Taurus into the garage for the night. I started it up and put it in drive with the a/c on. With the brake on It started to stumble just as bad as it ever did. It's now leading me to believe replacing the coil pack had no effect even though there were fine cracks on the surface.

Just 4 hours before this episode I had Autozone scan it and it gave zero errors.

Is it time to pay the big bucks and have a shop look at it?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Stumble with foot on brake = leaking brake booster (vacuum leak)

Pump the brake pedal repeatedly at idle. If the engine wants to die, then you found it.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Theory sounds good but it can care less how often I pump the brake pedal, pumping the brake has no effect on the engine stumble I'm experiencing. The fact that the car is in gear and either parking brake or foot brakes is on creates the increased load at idle that leads to the stumble/misfire. Having the a/c on only adds to the load at idle which encourages the problem.

I have since replaced the pcv valve and rubber elbow when I noticed it had collapsed with the engine running. I also replaced the smaller diameter hose that runs down vertically adjacent to the pcv hose at the UIM when I noticed cracks. While these items needed replacing it did not fix the problem. Perhaps there is still a vacuum leak somewhere I just have not been able to locate.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Looks like problem is fixed after replacing spark plug wires! I should have done this earlier but I let personal bias get in the way. In my 30 plus years of backyard mechanic experience I have never had the wires cause misfire or stumbling. Just lucky I guess.

So just to sum up, replacing the plugs and cracked coil pack did help with performance and I believe it was the coil pack that did throw p0300 and p0316 and did cause some stumbling but the wires were causing the remaining stumbling I was experiencing. I don't think I ever had a vacuum leak but I did replace the PCV hose because of collapsing.

Got to say the Duratec is a peppy engine and I'm pretty pleased with it over the nine years driving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page