Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

replace cv axle -96 sable

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  nbpt100 
#1 ·
As I look throught the Haynes repair manual on replacing the CV axle it suggests replacing the circ clip that retains the axle in the transaxle.

The new Axle from Cardone does not come with a new circ clip. I can not seem to find one at a parts store or on line. I assume it is dealer only. Mabey someone can confirm????

I have never replace the circ clip in the past unless a new one came with the new or reman axle. In the case of this Sable the clip is on the shaft in the transaxle.

Do you really need to replace it? Does anyone replace these in practice?

Also ....how easy is it to pop off the axle from the transaxle. It shows it being done with a large screw driver in the manual. I have done a few on other cars and sometimes they are very difficult to remove. Any tips if this should be the case??????
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
It sometimes takes a bit of "coaxing" to get the old shaft out. Patience is golden.
I put in a complete axle from NAPA. It came with a new clip but I couldn't get it in with the new clip on so rather than hammer on things, I used the one off the old one. It has been Ok for a couple years now.

#3 ·
What exactly do you mean by coaxing?

Do you use a pry bar? or some other method like a slide hammer?

My inclination is to reuse the original circ-clip. But in the event it gets damaged I will see if I can have an extra on hand, assuming my local Ford dealer has one.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.