Two Sets of Tires, Steering wheel Wobble/Shake? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Two Sets of Tires, Steering wheel Wobble/Shake?

Ok, first and foremost: I apologize for the long post. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Alright, so back in February I had Town Fair Tire replace the Conticraps that were on the car and due to be replaced. These were the original pair that the car shipped with. I wanted to put on some B.F. Goodrich Advantage T/A's but was talked into spending less by both my father and the head salesman. Ok, so I bit and put on a set of what seems to be a house-brand Doral SDL 60. They performed fairly well for $81 bucks a tire however they were noisy and had a slight shake/wobble from the get-go.

After 2k miles, I had enough of it and had some time so I brought it in and had them re-balance. It helped a little bit, but was still there. I should note that it starts around 45-50. So, two weeks later (last week) I went back and they rebalanced them one more time. The service manager came out and said that I was all set. I asked, "it's fixed?" He said, "Yes, we put the best balanced ones on the front." I said "whoah whoah what do you mean best balanced? They all should be Zero-ed out!" He gave me some bull**** answer of "well with this particular wheel and tire combination blah blah blah" I told them I would take it for a drive and that I would be back. Took it for a short drive on I-91 and it was better but STILL THERE!

So I was a little upset but not showing it, I went back and they offered to put on new tires. I said yes, he suggested that I try a set of Mastercraft MC-440's, on all 4 corners for no extra charge. I said, what the hell why not its not costing anything but a half hour of my time. Well I took it out and I can still feel a shimmy-shake-wobble.

I have been told by three different shops/Ford dealers (including Town Fair when they did the 4 wheel alignment with the Dorals in February) that the front end in my car is tight, nothing should be causing the wobble but the wheels or tires. What are the chances that I would get two bad sets of tires in a row? Could something else be wrong, say perhaps within the steering column or joints or something? (I don't know much about the steering). I'm at a loss. It's doubtful that it is a bent rim because you would think they would mention it to me when they had the tires off TWICE to alleviate the issue on the spot, and I haven't nailed any curbs or big potholes...? Do I put a better set on like the BFG's or Yokos or Michelins? I don't remember if it did this on the Contis, I think it did around 80ish but I really can't recall. It may have, but those tires were worn and not rotated well.

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Has anyone checked for a bent / out of round wheel?

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Other than Town Fair when they put on the two new sets, not that i'm aware of. I was feeling it in the seat too which usually means rear wheels, so chances of more than one wheel being bent?

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM
wjc
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
They can run the car on the lift in gear and look for wheel hop and rotor runout. If you have to pay a small fee for a suspension diagnostic at this point, I think it would be money well spent. They should be willing to let you see each wheel spin on the balancer. This wouldn't be the first time a lazy or tired tire installer didn't notice a bent rim.

"Spare the duct tape, spoil the job."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
They can run the car on the lift in gear and look for wheel hop and rotor runout. If you have to pay a small fee for a suspension diagnostic at this point, I think it would be money well spent. They should be willing to let you see each wheel spin on the balancer. This wouldn't be the first time a lazy or tired tire installer didn't notice a bent rim.
At Town Fair or at my mechanic?

The Toy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 SEL View Post
At Town Fair or at my mechanic?
Either place.

It'll be obvious. Just have to hold a static object like a pencil next to the wheel while it's rotating.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

So im going to get this checked out on Friday, it hasnt changed much. Of note though is that it seems to dissipate a bit under acceleration on the highway, which is strange? Also, i still have a bouncy idle that is most prominent on cold engine. Any chance they are related and this has nothing to do with wheels? Ive been reading a little about bad EGRs and DPFEs...sounds a little like what i have. Maybe plugs for a slight miss that the computer isnt picking up? Ive been trying to hone in on it and it almost seems like itssurging while cruising on the highway, like speeding up a tad then back down to normal, but this is faint. I dunno, maybe im imagining all this but I doubt it.

The Toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page