What's the difference between this car stands - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I'd agree that hydraulic jacks are better than the scissor jacks, but I've got a Craftsman $100+ 'racing' (aluminum) hydraulic floor jack at home that LOOKS real nice, but it's leaked like a sieve since about the 3rd or 4th time I ever used it (and, of course, Sears wouldn't take it back)! I think you need to include a bottle of hydraulic fluid next to that jack in your trunk!

behlinla:

Pretty funny. Good example of the "notch" at the top of the "Y" that my jack stands (don't) have. Wish I could weld together an adapter for mine. It's pretty lousy having just that sliver of metal bearing on the top face of the jackstands.

Last edited by Colt Hero; 05-21-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

I have four 2-Ton stands I got from Harbor Freight for a really good price. Have had them a long time and never had ANY issue with them. You need 4 of 'em to change out a fuel tank....

Edit: my 2&1/4 Ton HF hydralic floor jack just recently died (started leaking) after 15+ years of hard labor. Cost me $50 new. It owes me nothing, and now The Wife has to let me buy a new one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 05-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

danhasenauer why you need to jack both sides to get fuel tank, cant you just jack rear?

Must admit that scissor jacks are unreliable the fancy 2 tons one i mentioned (Big Red) failed the first time i used it. And my neighbor had one that failed too the same way where the gears are at bottom they are very thin and in my case one broke off and in his case it bent.

Maybe i did mistake jacking too far on one side though and it just failed because was going under angle or something.

Check the pictures i did never jack car to put it on stands and did not know the sequence it jacked too far and even rear of my car lifted.

I guess right way was to jack each side little by little and put jack stands so both sides in front were even?

Last edited by Clark$; 06-28-2012 at 04:28 PM.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Funny looking car you got there. Looks like an Aztec.

2012 SHO Livernois Dynotune

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Devoted Member

Harbor freight stands

I have the 2 ton harbor freight stands which work ok for me.
has anyone tried the aluminum Harbor freight stands?

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 AM
fct
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

By the way, the other day I by some accident found a coupon to buy these for only about $15+tax

Aluminum Jack Stands - 3 Ton

so I bought them. They are 3 ton. Kind of tall for Taurus, indeed. However, the lowest setting works just fine for this car IMO.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

So nobody know's how to properly jack front of the car with only 1 jack?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

I lift my Taurii at the center of the front sub-frame crossmember, lifts the whole front end at once. I can lift the entire rear end at once by picking at the rear center of the lower control arm H-Box frame. Of course that is with a hydraulic floor jack...wouldn't even attempt it with anything less. Clark$, you need to put the front and rear on jack stands when doing a fuel tank replacement because the tank is more under the rear seat than under the trunk. You have lots of clearance to remove and replace the tank this way. The preferred method is on a lift, but I don't have one of those in my garage.

PS - you can also browse the Maintenance section of the Topic Finder for more info....

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 06-29-2012 at 04:39 PM.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^+1. I would use a block of wood to span the H-Box frame with jack below.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I removed the gas tank from a '97 3.0 sedan with only jacking up the rear of the car. I put the car on ramps. Wasn't really as hard as I thought it would be. Tank came down pretty easy, actually.

B.T.W. Those HF Aluminum Jack Stands don't appear to have a very deep notch in the cradle (or am I just misjudging the picture)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page