AntiFreeze Smell on 2001 SES - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Chapter: West Coast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I've had Mercon V in it for about a year. Before that used what Mercon III I had left because was told "Use what the mfr suggests". With that fill tried an additive. Finally bled it out and ran Mercon V thru. It makes the same buzz no matter what is in it. Ford service is reluctant to comment but told me they only get a quiet job about 50% of the time. In other words, no guarantees. I'm having trouble accepting that I'm the only one up against this problem......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairman54 View Post
Changing PS fluid over to Mercon V has worked for a lot of noisy pumps.
Instead of a full flush and having to bleed air out I did mine by sucking out the reservoir a couple times and refilling with the Mercon over a few weekends. Sort of a slow flush the lazy man's way.
Re:
" slow flush the lazy man's way"

Wow did not I was 'lazy'.

I have done that and will do that for my 3 Fords every year. If I suck out the resivor and replace each fall, it will always be reasonably fresh.

As for noise, one should be sure it is not air in the fluid. The only way I have been successful is to suck the fluid our, replentish it, run it few minutes min, repeat. You can usually see foam on top of the fluid in the resivor if it has any air in it.

I will do my trannys inbetween the 30K filter change also. It does not cost that much, takes a little effort for the tranny. For that, I measure what I take out, and put back just what I removed. That assumes I have checked the level recently before.

Happy hydraulics.

-chart-
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Coolant overflow reseserior

The overflow resevoir on my 1998 Tarus cracks once or twice a year. Is anyone else having this problem? What causes it?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
A non-Motorcraft reservoir?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 PM

I have a 96 sable. I had the cooling system flushed and new radiator and heater hoses installed. After I had the work done I would smell antifreeze and see wisps of steam coming from under the hood. Took it back where I had the work done and the guy said it was my soft plug seeping. He also said he might have used too much pressure when he flushed it but he would only charge me 300.00 to fix it. WTF! I went the cheap route. $3.00 for bars leak or $300.00 . It's my work car with just under 134,000 miles. I've owned it since 1998 and it's been a great car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page