Intermittent Hard 1-2 Shift - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent Hard 1-2 Shift

Finally fixed the humming noise with a new battery. Now a new issue has come up. It is another intermittent one and I can not intentionally duplicate it.
EDIT: Its a 2006 (Ford website says I have 4F50N Tranny) with 78,000 miles

Issue I'm having is a real hard 1-2 shift at low speeds with little pressure on the gas pedal(intermittently). Its almost like a surge. It doesn't seem to slip as my RPMs remain stable and the car does accelerate. It seems to happen after the car shifts into 2nd and I don't notice it after this or at highway speeds. I also haven't got the hard shift under moderate throttle. No CEL or anything and I did replace my TPS maybe 500 miles ago.

I did the fluid and filter 4 months ago(about 3,000 miles ago) and I think I may have over filled the fluid by a quart but it ran fine all this time and when I check the dipstick it is barely within limits, and other times a little over.

I did notice my speedometer at highway speed will "wobble" 1-3 MPH making me think its a VSS(or I guess an OSS), but it does function. A year ago I was having cruise control issues but it is working fine now. I read in the topic finder that a bad VSS(OSS) was showing most of my symptoms but I thought it would throw a code or the speedometer would not work at all.

It also seems to hang a little high on the RPMs when I let off the gas on the highway but it does come down when I hit the brakes.

I'm looking at buying an OSS and can not seem to find the one I need. Fordparts is still calling it a VSS(Part#9E731). Alldata says OSS(Part#1F1Z7M101AA), and RockAuto has it listed as just an electric speed sensor(Part#DY1210). Autozone, Advance and NAPA don't seem to have anything on their websites for VSS/OSS.

I'm going to redo the fluid and make sure I follow the procedure exactly but aside from that, any other ideas before I try to throw parts?

Last edited by wafflebrian84; 03-09-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page