Sudden rough idle like a shutter and voltage drop..alternator? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Sudden rough idle like a shutter and voltage drop..alternator?

i have a odd question...i bout this 97 sho off a friend. runs very well. has no mufflers just long tail pipes. sounds amamzing but anyways the other day i was at a traffic light and it did alittle sputter like a slight miss and voltage droped but just for that quick second. it has continued to do it only at ldle. possible idle air control? it is a new iac on there. i changed the front 4 plugs like a cheap ass cuz i couldnt get to the back yet. i did not do coils cuz i dont have the money as of yet. i do have a volt meter in the car and that the voltage has dropped when the sputters happen. i do have an aftermarket system in the car also with a extra battery and different head unit. any possible ideas? kinda getting fairly frustrated. i want to do the back plugs but would rather wait to take everything off when i buy the coils also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikdaudio View Post
i have a odd question...i bout this 97 sho off a friend. runs very well. has no mufflers just long tail pipes. sounds amamzing but anyways the other day i was at a traffic light and it did alittle sputter like a slight miss and voltage droped but just for that quick second. it has continued to do it only at ldle. possible idle air control? it is a new iac on there. i changed the front 4 plugs like a cheap ass cuz i couldnt get to the back yet. i did not do coils cuz i dont have the money as of yet. i do have a volt meter in the car and that the voltage has dropped when the sputters happen. i do have an aftermarket system in the car also with a extra battery and different head unit. any possible ideas? kinda getting fairly frustrated. i want to do the back plugs but would rather wait to take everything off when i buy the coils also.
First things first.

You Need to know:
1. Did some electric draw pull the idle down?
or
2. Did the engine slow down and cause lower voltage?

Unless you have a major power draw, engine slow down due to a miss or other combustion issues should not make much voltage drop.

-chart-
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Uh oh. All I can think is...

Have you had the cams welded?

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

i think it dropped cuz of the motor like slowing down.but driving seems fine...when i stop it idles so bad like its going to just put out and stall...now seems likes its missing but no light still. like i came to a light tonight and the rpms dropped and raised and lights were dimming and when i hit the gas it was alittle hesitant on going but then was fine..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

like i had radio off so amps werent technically on but power going to them still obviously. but i dont think it could be a battery being bad to make the car idle like that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 2 reviews
have the battery and alt load tested to start, check the belt and see if its slipping because of a pulley lockup, and like stated by bullgeek, I HOPE THE CAMS ARE WELDED.
if not I wouldnt even drive it till you fixed that issue. or you might just find you have a big lawn ornament that you paid for.

Bill
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

not to sound stupid but what do you mean by cams being welded??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 2 reviews
the cams are a 2 piece setup to the sprocket, these have a common failure and come apart and cause major engine damage, by welding them together this resolves the issue and makes it stronger.

Bill
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Cam welding.

Good long read: Still skeptical about Cam Welding
Really really long page of info: Cam Failure Links

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Have you solved this issue? This is what i have going on in my 2000 se ohv. I have had trouble explaining what's been happening with my car. And what you explained is what's going on with my car. Then I read down and seen that a slipping belt can cause this problem due to a possible pulley starting to lock up. I have been thinking that the power steering pump is going out, but it could be any pulley going out. I haven't had time to take serpentine belt off yet to see if I still have the same problem. But yeah, just wanted to see if any cause for your problem was found???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page