On a 2002 Mercury Sable 3.0 DOHC
, I had the motor mount bolt and hole in the sub frame go out of alignment when I lifted the motor to replace my AC
pump. The bolt ofset about 1" towards the radiator. I thought the motor shifted as well. I struggled 5 hours trying to push the motor or sub frame with pry bars and hydraulic jacks with no success. Finally I got it back in alignment by doing the following:
Remove the plastic panel from the fender well so you can see the motor mount.
Jack up the motor by the oil pan a few inches. Use a block of wood to spread out the force.
Remove the two motor mount bolts (underneath the AC
pump for my car) that secure the motor mount to the engine.
Place the motor mount bolt into the hole in the sub frame.
Screw the nut onto the bolt (underneath the sub frame) about 75%
Lower the motor until the engine bracket and motor mount just lightly kiss.
If necessary push on the motor mount towards the radiator a little to get clearance. It took very little force.
Lower the motor until the 2 bolt holes in the motor mount and engine are in alignment. It seemed like a miracle but they came into alignment very easily.
Tighten the two bolts to the motor and the 1 nut under the sub frame.
It still confuses my why this worked but it worked and I completed the motor mount attachment in 15 minutes.
Bottom line: my motor did not shift but I would have bet the farm the it did shift.
I'll mount my new AC
pump tomorrow. Hopefully to big challenges.
Hope this helps.