Coolant leaking - hose expensive! 2000 taurus duratech - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leaking - hose expensive! 2000 taurus duratech

Hi - I have a guy who said my hose from the water pump to the thermostat is shot (cuz it's a high failure thing - hope he's right on this one!) ....that hose is mega expensive and can only get from dealer he says.... Any one found that part elsewhere? He said it's $190 bucks or so- Holy Schmokes! It's rubber on both ends and steel in middle. All of this of course - is provided he's right. UGH. HELP!

Last edited by rhemabound; 09-04-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 AM

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Just a minute---isn't that the hose that some members replaced easily with a standard sized flexi hose?? for about $15? I'd check the Search feature on this one. It's awhile back and possibly for a Vulcan---can't remember!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mr Boo - it may not work for the 2000 - Autozone says no - still working on it..... Toronut - THANKS - am looking in to THAT. Whew - wouldn't that be great. ))
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Devoted Member

It's a 21 inch x 1.5 inch flex hose that does the trick. Posters here have said to cut the old pipe through in the middle for easiest removal. IIRC, it needs a single zip tie to hold it from rubbing on some moving part (serpentine belt?) For Duratecs.
Search for "need a new coolant hose" post by member bigh. It's 9 pages long, but it's good info and there is a Gates Hose part # in there somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 09-04-2010 at 03:25 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

i have one from my duratec that has not blown out yet. it is rustly but there were no leaks before it was removed. i dont have a use for as i now have the newer coolant system
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 AM

If you think it costs alot, wait untill you try to change it!
I did mine and I think ford built the car around it!
Very tight fit.
Give yourself a half a day to do it!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM

I have replaced mine with a flex hose from advanace auto parts. Dealer wanted 230 with tax. I was about to give up because it looked like the flex hose was going to rub on the belt, when I googled it and found that someone had done the same thing - and came up with the same exact hose that I did. I saw they simply put a zip tie around the engine mount and the hose to keep it away from the belt. I put 6 in that same spot. I didn't like the idea of getting strantded due to a zip tie breaking. Now all 6 have to break. Its been working just great like this for the past 3 months or so. And the best part is it only cost $20 dollars (with two new screw claps for getting them on easier).
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhasenauer View Post
It's a 21 inch x 1.5 inch flex hose that does the trick. Posters here have said to cut the old pipe through in the middle for easiest removal. IIRC, it needs a single zip tie to hold it from rubbing on some moving part (serpentine belt?) For Duratecs.
Search for "need a new coolant hose" post by member bigh. It's 9 pages long, but it's good info and there is a Gates Hose part # in there somewhere.
I took the time to register here for this reason & only one reason. You will never hear from me again. I replaced the better half's using your method shipped it back and replaced it with a 19 and 3/4 flexihose 1220. It was almost perfect, however did have to ziptie it as well, still rubbed slightly only when hot, looked fine prior. I did skin the bark off my trees doing so (busted my knuckels). I want to personally thank you for your initial breakdown.

For anyone doing this job it SUXX I am a computer programmer with a degree in automotive, google was my friend that found this suggestion thanks again danhasenauer or whoever initially suggested the flexihose. I am beta, I do not make the the things suggested I only make things suggested better. Or is that alpha? $15 dollar hose or a $230 pipe / hose. I took the pipe broke it in half and removed it, i would love to meet the engineer on that project. I bet you money he too was a programmer. Don't you wish all programmers would skin the bark? You would not be here if they did.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn

Last edited by TheeMahn; 04-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Congrats! You da man, lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page