Daily Driver Converted To Once A Week Driver - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Vee

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I just bought a 1996 Jaguar XJS swith about 54,000 miles. It will become my daily driver. I am keeping my 2000 Taurus SE-S (Duratec) with 167,000 miles.

Will my reliable Taurus become less reliable now that I'm driving it once a week versus every day for 50 miles round trip? Do I need to pay any special attention to this Taurus now that it becomes a secondary car? I promise to drive it at least 50 miles once every other week, probably more in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

Driving it once a week will be fine. Just remember that if you don't go through a tank of gas within a month it'll go bad and you'll need to add some gas treatment to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Vee

That's an excellent point. Thanks.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Devoted Member

I'd drive the Taurus daily and use the Jag as a once in a while vehicle. Jag will hold it's value better and already has low miles.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ May 26 2010, 10:19 PM)
Quote:
Driving it once a week will be fine. Just remember that if you don't go through a tank of gas within a month it'll go bad and you'll need to add some gas treatment to it.[/b]
Care to elaborate? What is wrong with gas over a month old?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Vee

What about the oil? Now that I'm reduced to changing oil once or twice a year, should I consider synthetic, or will the good old dino stuff suffice?

If I'm only putting a few thousand on it every year, the current oil will likely be in use for 6 months or more.

Thanks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
What about the oil? Now that I'm reduced to changing oil once or twice a year, should I consider synthetic, or will the good old dino stuff suffice?

If I'm only putting a few thousand on it every year, the current oil will likely be in use for 6 months or more.

Thanks.
You should consider synthetic regardless. And now that you're only changing it every 6-12 months it will be that much cheaper to use better oil.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 PM

I'm confused, what bad happens to the car when it sits? And the gas? My car just sat about a year and a half while I saved for the repairs, ran it around the block about four times in that period to test the engine (illegal to actually drive it any great distance), she seems fine and the gas works, it's over a year old. Before I had it it sat for 6 years in an airplane hanger, the tires went sort of kaput but it wasn't too worse for wear, a little rusty. Taurus seems pretty durable when you let it sit.

Airborne!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetmiss View Post
I'm confused, what bad happens to the car when it sits? And the gas? My car just sat about a year and a half while I saved for the repairs, ran it around the block about four times in that period to test the engine (illegal to actually drive it any great distance), she seems fine and the gas works, it's over a year old. Before I had it it sat for 6 years in an airplane hanger, the tires went sort of kaput but it wasn't too worse for wear, a little rusty. Taurus seems pretty durable when you let it sit.
My Bull sat off and on for 14yrs. It had 56k miles on it when I got it. So far the coolant tank cracked and leaked, the rear brakes exploded and had to be totally replaced, the cam synchro failed, the engine belt, the end links are rattling over bumps. Other than that the car gets 25.9 mpg on the last tank (I drove it like a grandpop).

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh488 View Post
My Bull sat off and on for 14yrs. It had 56k miles on it when I got it. So far the coolant tank cracked and leaked, the rear brakes exploded and had to be totally replaced, the cam synchro failed, the engine belt, the end links are rattling over bumps. Other than that the car gets 25.9 mpg on the last tank (I drove it like a grandpop).

Uh oh, let's hope my luck with the sitting car holds out then I don't like the sound of exploding brakes! But this gives me an excuse to search the forums about brakes and poke around in there some more...

Airborne!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page