Bad Fuel Pump Possibly? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
the other morning it was approximately 15 degrees or less when I went to start my car. It had been about 6 hours since it had last been shut off. I tried atleast 15 times to start the car and sometimes it would act like it was starting so I would let go of the key and the engine just shuts down. Finally, after being frustrated enough, when the car acted like it was starting..I knew it was going to die but I held the accelerator in and kept the engine reving around 2000 rpm for about 5 seconds..let off the gas pedal and she ran. Any ideas? Battery never wore down one bit while I was attempting to start the car and the starter motor seemed to be working just fine. Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sable_punk02
my cars been doing the same thing alot recently and its been pretty cold here in WV..thing is she never did that last yr in Iowa where windchills got well below 0. i cant figure it out bc my battery is fine and she starts right up when i leave work after a 12hr shift..buy shes in a parking garage then too

RIP
1995 Mercury Sable-Snowplow
2001 Ford Taurus SES - Hannah

Current
2000 Ford Taurus SE 24V DOHC - Hannah 2.0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

what i dont understand is. I thought putting the gas pedal in while trying to start would flood the car..but when she tried to roar to life I just gave her some constant gas to keep it reving at 2000rpm for about 5 seconds and then she was fine and I let it idle down. When summer was ending and it was around 20 outside..I would just have to give it a tiny bit while turning the key and she would start right up.

I'm thinking possibly my gas lines are corroding and becoming thin so any bit of water or condensation in the lines freezes right up. That would make sense that when I push on the accelerator it maybe breaks the block in the line to allow the appropriate amount of gas to flow to the injectors.

Also, I use lucas fuel injector cleaner about once every two months. I also changed the fuel filter about 9 months ago.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Ryanzlx1

Can you turn the key and hear the pump run? like a whine noise coming from the trunk area? With the cold temps is good to keep your tank above half full and also you may want to try some dry gas incase theres any moisture in the fuel thats in your tank right now.

Could also be a camshaft position sensor going bad.. Read below it's what usually happens as a camshaft position sensor goes bad.

Usual Symptoms: Here’s what my car did. The problem started with occasionally taking longer cranking before it would start. Then it sometimes would crank, but not start at all after it had been running (or sometimes start with alot of cranking). I could wait 5 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, or overnight and it would start – it seemed to be random on when it did it and how long I had to wait. This went on for a couple months, with it happening more severely and more frequently, but still random and intermittent.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jan 4 2010, 08:41 PM)
Quote:
Can you turn the key and hear the pump run? like a whine noise coming from the trunk area? With the cold temps is good to keep your tank above half full and also you may want to try some dry gas incase theres any moisture in the fuel thats in your tank right now.

Could also be a camshaft position sensor going bad.. Read below it's what usually happens as a camshaft position sensor goes bad.

Usual Symptoms: Here’s what my car did. The problem started with occasionally taking longer cranking before it would start. Then it sometimes would crank, but not start at all after it had been running (or sometimes start with alot of cranking). I could wait 5 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, or overnight and it would start – it seemed to be random on when it did it and how long I had to wait. This went on for a couple months, with it happening more severely and more frequently, but still random and intermittent.[/b]
Yes, everytime I turn the key to the "ON" position..I hear the pump whining. It's a quick 1 to 1-1/2 second whining noise so I'm assuming it's the pump building pressure. They still make dry gas? I figured if they did it would be by a different name. does AZ normally cary this?

Also, I put nothing but premium gas in my car. Shouldn't that have diluted the moisture or water in the tank? or does it separate again when the car is sitting?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Ryanzlx1

Red face

QUOTE (joelhiers @ Jan 4 2010, 08:58 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jan 4 2010, 08:41 PM)
Quote:

Usual Symptoms: Here’s what my car did. The problem started with occasionally taking longer cranking before it would start. Then it sometimes would crank, but not start at all after it had been running (or sometimes start with alot of cranking). I could wait 5 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, or overnight and it would start – it seemed to be random on when it did it and how long I had to wait. This went on for a couple months, with it happening more severely and more frequently, but still random and intermittent.[/b]
Yes, everytime I turn the key to the "ON" position..I hear the pump whining. It's a quick 1 to 1-1/2 second whining noise so I'm assuming it's the pump building pressure. They still make dry gas? I figured if they did it would be by a different name. does AZ normally cary this?

Also, I put nothing but premium gas in my car. Shouldn't that have diluted the moisture or water in the tank? or does it separate again when the car is sitting?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah you might look for a name called "Heet" gas additive. AZ should have some or something similar. Premium fuel huh? you know your only supposed to use the reg 87 right? Anything more isnt really necessary for your engine its tuned to run off regular unleaded. You could still get moisture in any fuel depending on the conditions, Premium or regular doesnt matter...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Chapter: Northeast

turn the key 3/4 way,listen for a whining 2 sec. noise and thats your fuel pump. if you dont hear it that may mean your pump is out or on the way out. also read the owners manual and it talks about starting in cold weather too. holding accelerator down half way and such... then retry the start etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in