Fuel Filter Trouble - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dark_fire
Decided to change the fuel filter on the bull, since I have no idea when that was last done. Went to O'Reillys and picked up a house brand (which turned out to be a FRAM ) for 6 bucks. It even came with the correct clips.

Got home, jacked the car up, relieved fuel pressure and got to work. Both clips came out just fine and intact surprisingly, as did the clamp. Pulled the line off the engine side of the filter just fine, but the tank side of the filter is pretty much welded to the damn plastic quick connector. I can spin it just fine, but the damn won't come off. It's been soaked in PBlaster, Liquid wrench, WD-40 and some ATF and still won't budge.

Any Ideas? I CANNOT drive the car anywhere, as the gas that was dripping out is black from being stirred up on the removal. I even put the filter in a bottle and primed it a few times to clear it out. The gas is so cloudy and nasty that even with my 110w spotlight, you can't see the light through the gas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
When Chuck Norris goes to sleep every night,
he checks his closet for Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Interesting. After I got the clips off, I just kind of jiggled the filter until it came loose. But then again, I don't wait years to change my fuel filter. I do it about every other oil change or 7500 miles. Sounds like yours is stuck because it has not been changed at all.

I have even changed mine in the Autozone parking lot without jacking the entire car up as you have.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Blue Bull
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Ended up putting the new filter on the engine side, then taking a few inch piece of trans cooler hose and hooking it to the out on the old filter and the in on the new filter. Just limped it down to the stealership..... *Gets ready to bend over*
jobales likes this.

Quote:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Sorry to hear that. Next time, do it every other oil change and it will be a lot simpler to get off. You should be able to follow these instructions next time (with ease):

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

The in-line fuel filter provides filtration to protect the small metering orifices of the fuel injectors. The filter is located downstream of the fuel pump and is usually mounted to the rear right hand frame rail adjacent to the right hand front cover of the fuel tank underneath the vehicle. The filter is a one-piece unit that is non-serviceable and must be replaced if it is defective.

The flexible fuel filter and base is compatible with either fuel Methanol or fuel Ethanol. The use of a gasoline fuel filter on these models will result in the failure of the filter and base.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Exploded view of the fuel system mounting and its related components

Fig. Fig. 2: Remove the clips from the push connect fittings

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to of this repair guide for the proper procedure.

2. Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.

3. Disconnect the push connect fittings from the ends of the filter and base. Refer to of this repair guide for the fuel line disconnect procedure.

4. Loosen the filter clamp mounting clamp just enough so that the filter and base can be removed.

5. Once the clamp is loosened, remove the filter from the vehicle.

To install:

The flow direction arrow on the filter should be positioned forward and downward to ensure proper flow of fuel through the filter.

6. Install the fuel filter in the mounting clamp. Make sure the flow arrow is properly positioned. Locate the base of the filter against the tab at the lower end of the bracket.

7. Attach the push connect fittings to the filter. Refer to of this repair guide for the fuel line connect procedure.

8. Tighten the filter mounting clamp nut to 15-24 inch lbs. (1.7-2.8 Nm).

9. Start the engine and check for leaks.

10. Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand...

The Blue Bull

|
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Devoted Member

hold tank side line, wiggle and pull filter. it will come off. Every other oil change is a bit overkill. Once a year should be more than sufficient
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ Jul 10 2009, 10:12 AM)
Quote:
hold tank side line, wiggle and pull filter. it will come off. Every other oil change is a bit overkill. Once a year should be more than sufficient[/b]
The engine side came off just that simple, but the tank side line is rusted right to the plastic quick connector.

Put it this way, when I limped it down to the dealer, I didn't even bother putting the clip back on that side. The rust is strong enough to hold back the ~40psi.

P.S. It is infact the original filter that came with the car. The previous owner never bothered to change it. Even if I attempted this 2 years ago when I got the car, the same thing would have happened.

Quote:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1996
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Even if you got the fitting off of the filter it is likely the O-ring seal would be damaged as you rip the raised rusted surface over it.

Needa Parts manufacturing (similar to the Dorman or HELP products)sells are replacement fuel elbow fitting with a small hose and a brass barb w/clamp. You can cut the line just above the stuck fitting and replace it with this part. I bought one at a VIP parts store for about 5 bucks if I remember correctly. If you were to replace the entire line with the Ford part(if you can afford it or even get it) you will have to drop the gas tank.

Needa part number 551513. Fuel line repair kit 5/16 to 5/16 line.

The instructions tell you to soak the line being attached to the hose barb in hot water to soften it.

You could also cut one out at a bone yard and splice that in also. You then just need a barb and a clamp. They sell the barb and clamp alone. Needa part number 551763. 5/16 Brass fuel line Union.

The manual says every 30k miles for Fuel filter replacement. For most people that is around every 2 years. If the car is not driven that much and is in the rust belt I would not recommend exceeding 2 years regardless of the mileage.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Got it back from the stealership yesterday. It took 30mins of screwing around with, but they managed to get the line off the filter without replacing the whole line. No leaks.

4 things now, that SHOULDN'T happen when you change the fuel filter

(1). My scangauge now reports the fuel tables as a couple percent lower (leaner), and (2). my fuel economy has gone up 1-2mpg consistently (again according to the scangauge)
(3). My Parents and myself notice more power throughout the entire powerband. This 'tec would be an absolute dog till about 3k and then it would start going. Now it actually pulls under the 3k mark.
(4). Probably the most alarming thing, but before no matter how hard I tried, I could barely get my 'tec to shift over ~5500rpm. Now she goes past 6k and shifts just before the limiter.

Quote:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Just thought I should add that after changing my fuel filter at 35,000 miles, my ScanGauge II said the same thing as above. Mileage went up and power too. I will NOT in the future go longer than two years or about 24,000 miles before changing that filter.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFlloyd View Post
hold tank side line, wiggle and pull filter. it will come off. Every other oil change is a bit overkill. Once a year should be more than sufficient
I'm replacing it once every five years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in