A Couple Questions.. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I have a 97 Ford Taurus (3.0 ohv) with 137,982 miles. I love this car have never had a problem with it. I purchased it from good friends who told me that the check engine light was always on but it wasn't something that could cause me to have driving problems.

I am getting ready to do a 500 mile drive and I went through the normal tune up procedures...oil change, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc. Well after doing all of that my check engine light (which as i said is usually always on) started flashing, this alarmed me so i took it to auto zone to have them do the free test. Recieved an engine misfire in cylinder five. Turned out my fuel injector in that cylinder was bad. That was replaced and i'm back to just havinng the check engine light on. I took it back to auto zone and they said that the code that has been coming up was P0420 ...i found a paper in the manual from the previous owner who had got that code in 06 and that's why the check engine light was always on. I don't understand if this is a serious problem how it has been happening for three years without the car having a problem.

My question is the car drives fine and I was told it could be an oxygen sensor or a cat problem...would the car be okay to drive for the trip and fixing the problem when i get back? I don't have the time or means right now to fix it before I leave Wednesday.

Any response would help! thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

It won't hurt anything to drive it with the light on for that code. There's two O2 sensors for each converter. If their readings are the same or very similar a code is set. The sensor before the converter will fluxuate from rich to lean. It's main function is to monitor the fuel/air ration. The second O2 sensor is after the converter, it's purpose is to monitor the reading after the converter, it's reading should be fairly steady and not fluxuating. The pcm can determine the converter's effieciency by comparing the readings from each sensor. If both are reading the same it's throws a code to alert the driver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Chapter: Southeast

Just did a quick search on "P0420" and came up with a whole lot. However, if you want a quick easy link to your solution, this thread is a good one. Check out the 5th post down in it, Nidan is the author of that particular post.

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...35&hl=P0420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page