Fuel Starvation Problems - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I have a 2000 murcury sable wagon 3.0L OHV with 130K miles on it. The car sometimes won't start after being shut off hot or cold. I can get it to start by cycling the key from on to off a number of times to get the fuel pump to come on. When it runs the fuel pressure Key On Engine Off is about 30psi. Engine running is about 40psi. Some times it has gone up to 50psi then drops back down to 40psi. When it won't start fuel pressure is zero. No pump noise eather. I connected an OBD2 scan tool and live data shows a code of P0174 "System Too Lean (Bank 2)". When driving the car, it starves of gas under a load. The live data report shows the fuel pressure at about 40psi then momentarly drops to 4 or 5 psi (under load/higher fuel demand) then back up to 40psi. When the fuel pressure suddenly drops, the engine rpm drops massively and looses lots of power or the engine stalls. So far, I can restart it and the pressure goes back up to 40psi I replaced fuel filter and no change. When it does run, it runs great.
Fuel pump going out? Pressure regulator valve going out? Loose or bad wiring connections? Any ideas would be greatly helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM

I would start by changing the fuel filter. Just replaced mine at 47,500 miles after I put 5,000 miles on it. Then added some fuel injector cleaner which solved my problem of hesitating while cruising on the highway. It sounds like you have fuel pressure but it is not constant. Might have a regulator messing up on the return line or the check valve at the fuel pump. Once the condition of the filter is known then you might check that regulator under the hood.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to dark_fire
Starving under load is almost always the pump's way of saying its on the last threads. Time for a new one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
When Chuck Norris goes to sleep every night,
he checks his closet for Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page