Transaxle Problems - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I've just purchased a '99 Taurus w/ the 24valve engine. The transmission is bad. This car is a column shift. The transmission pan on the end has AX4N Metric stamped on it. Which transmissions will interchange with this? Any help is appreciated. David.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I've just purchased a '99 Taurus w/ the 24valve engine. The transmission is bad. This car is a column shift. The transmission pan on the end has AX4N Metric stamped on it. Which transmissions will interchange with this? Any help is appreciated. David.
[/b]
AX4N or AX4S are the choices. You want to keep an AX4N in the car. It is regarded as the better transmission. The AX4S has been known to fail way early (60K-100K miles). These Taurus transmissions need to be serviced every 30K miles. I had a '97 Taurus with AX4N and its still running on the original tranny with 235K miles. My current '96 model has AX4N and it has 140K miles (original tranny) and no problems yet . But, I service per Ford's recommendation.

Good Luck,

-GH
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 PM
wjc
Devoted Member

Quote:
[/b]
98/99 AX4Ns were very similar. Revisions were done to those transmissions that made them different (improved) from '96/97 AX4Ns. Later years were further revised and received a new model number and are not direct replacements.

"Spare the duct tape, spoil the job."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 AM

You wont want an AX4S in that. You would also need to change out the computer if you did. It's just not recommended for the Duratec. I don't know of any Duratec's that came with an AX4S.

As I understand so long as you get the transmission from a donor that has the same engine you shouldn't have any problems.

Another possibility is just to repair the transmission. What exactly is wrong with it?

Saved by the Cross! Bled by a Taurus...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan I - '97 Silver Taurus GL
Vulcan II - '97 Forest Green Taurus GL
Vulcan III - '02 Tan Sable LS
SHO-HIS-Love - '96 Medium Willow SHO
SHO-Foo - '96 Medium Willow SHO
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You wont want an AX4S in that. You would also need to change out the computer if you did. It's just not recommended for the Duratec. I don't know of any Duratec's that came with an AX4S.

As I understand so long as you get the transmission from a donor that has the same engine you shouldn't have any problems.

Another possibility is just to repair the transmission. What exactly is wrong with it?
[/b]

Thanks all for your replies.This vehicle is a flood car. The front 1/3 of the car has been under water. The engine is also trashed. the car has only 39K miles on it and is pristine other than the mechanicals. I have located a low mileage engine, but the transmission is becoming a pain to find. A local shop asked $1800 to do a rebuild. NOT! I have quotes of $500 to $850 for a used tranny (when located) with 50-70 k miles. I'm doing the r/r myself. ( done them before on the 3.0 Vulcan eng/tranny combo).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM

$500 is the most I would expect to pay for a working / unknown condition used tranny. Keep in mind that the rebuild kits are less than $400 which could probably take that transmission back to pristine. Always replace the solenoids! Check RockAuto or your local Autozone/Kragen.

A Shift kit can be purchased for about $50.00 while you are in there.

Saved by the Cross! Bled by a Taurus...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan I - '97 Silver Taurus GL
Vulcan II - '97 Forest Green Taurus GL
Vulcan III - '02 Tan Sable LS
SHO-HIS-Love - '96 Medium Willow SHO
SHO-Foo - '96 Medium Willow SHO
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
$500 is the most I would expect to pay for a working / unknown condition used tranny. Keep in mind that the rebuild kits are less than $400 which could probably take that transmission back to pristine. Always replace the solenoids! Check RockAuto or your local Autozone/Kragen.

A Shift kit can be purchased for about $50.00 while you are in there.
[/b]
My supplier is willing to give a 6 mo. parts warranty on the used transaxle, IF he can come up with the right trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page